CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:
CrossFit and Cancer

Not just cancer, but it makes the title sound cooler =)

Anyway, when somebody is sick their body has to spend a lot of energy fixing whatever is wrong, right? Well what if somebody has cancer and they're tired all the time. At this point exercising at all is congratulatory and doing a WOD should get them a medal or something.

I watched this bit on the CF website that gave a quick blurb of Coach Glassman talking about fitness and health and to be honest it resonates very true with me. But what about sick people. People whose bodies have cancer, or TB, or any of the 30 some classifications of 'AIDS'.

I'm curious if there's been any research at all in this area. From my point of view, I see the human body as something that is capable of dealing with ANYTHING that we are put in front of (in normal quantities - think arsenic in apple seeds) because we come from everything this earth is made of. There's a nobel prize winning nutritionist said that on some level of quantity our bodies need a bit of EVERYTHING on this planet. In any event, it seems that people get sick because their bodies aren't strong enough.

Think of it this way - two people are exposed to a cold virus, one gets it the other doesn't. Two brothers grow up in the same house for 20 years, one gets cancer the other doesn't. Things like this all, to me, seem to point to a problem with the individuals ability to cope with whatever it is that's around them making them sick...

so how does crossfit, or exercise fit into this puzzle? Preventative ok, I need more than just 'less likely to develop...' kind of answers.

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
Jose M. Perez

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and Cancer

I can't direct you to a specific web site, but there has been research on cancer patients and exercise. It showed that those who maintained an exercise program while doing chemo and radiation tended to recover more quickly than those that did not. I don't recall the details of the study.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
David Croushore

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhaysonn Pathak View Post
I need more than just 'less likely to develop...' kind of answers.
Unfortunately, since the definitive knowledge of every single cause of every cancer isn't known, "less likely to develop" is the best you're going to do, and anyone who gives you more certainty should not be trusted.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Donald Lee

Profile:

Well, you need to keep in mind that catching a disease is affected by nutritional, environmental, genetic, and exercise-related factors. It's not as simple as people's bodies aren't strong enough, so they get sick.

How does CrossFit fit into all this? CrossFit would go under the exercise-related factors. CrossFit, if applied properly, could promote a more healthy body, but CrossFit is very stressful, so if applied wrongly, it could just make someone more sick.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Think of it this way - two people are exposed to a cold virus, one gets it the other doesn't. Two brothers grow up in the same house for 20 years, one gets cancer the other doesn't. Things like this all, to me, seem to point to a problem with the individuals ability to cope with whatever it is that's around them making them sick...
Sorry, not that simple. If it were, someone would have won the "cure for cancer" Nobel Prize by now.

It's pretty well established that a good diet and active lifestyle reduce your risk for pretty much everything bad (heart disease, diabetes, cancer, etc.) On the other hand, it's also well known that overtraining weakens your immune system, making you vulnerable to whatever microbes might be floating around. So Crossfit is a good thing, but too much Crossfit is a bad thing.

Not sure what else you're looking for beyond that. There just isn't really science out there to support more precise statements than "exercise is good."

Katherine
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #6
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

No amount of exercise will prevent you from coming down with a virus or bacterial infection, nor will it cure them...
Old 03-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Cormac O'Connor

Profile:

Being strong, having solid bones and plentiful organ reserve can certainly help you recover from surgery or chemo. I've had that graphically illustrated to me recently. It's alarming how quickly someone can deteriorate if they are bed-bound and not eating - if you ever need serious treatment like that, you'll want to be as big and strong as possible from the outset.

Mark Sisson's site has regular posts about this stuff, well worth a trawl through his archives.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:

I appreciate the responses and I'll check out the site about mark sisson.

I guess I'm looking for more info on types of ezlxercises done to help. In the sense of cancer, being anabolic, it seems one might want to engage in aerobic over anaerobic exercise, at least in my head. Which is why I'm asking.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Not just cancer, but it makes the title sound cooler =)

Anyway, when somebody is sick their body has to spend a lot of energy fixing whatever is wrong, right? Well what if somebody has cancer and they're tired all the time. At this point exercising at all is congratulatory and doing a WOD should get them a medal or something.

I watched this bit on the CF website that gave a quick blurb of Coach Glassman talking about fitness and health and to be honest it resonates very true with me. But what about sick people. People whose bodies have cancer, or TB, or any of the 30 some classifications of 'AIDS'.

I'm curious if there's been any research at all in this area. From my point of view, I see the human body as something that is capable of dealing with ANYTHING that we are put in front of (in normal quantities - think arsenic in apple seeds) because we come from everything this earth is made of. There's a nobel prize winning nutritionist said that on some level of quantity our bodies need a bit of EVERYTHING on this planet. In any event, it seems that people get sick because their bodies aren't strong enough.

so how does CrossFit, or exercise fit into this puzzle? Preventative ok, I need more than just 'less likely to develop...' kind of answers.

Thanks!
Look up the Surgeons Generals Report on Physical Activity and Disease. It will have a lot of the research you're curious about
Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #10
Jhaysonn Pathak

Profile:

Awesome! Thanks