CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 AM   #1
Joe Proulx

Profile:
Extreme DOMS from SDHP

I performed a WOD last week that involved rowing. Not having a C2, I subbed four sets of 50 SDHP using a 45lb bar. The WOD was tough, but nothing out of the ordinary for CF. However, over the next five days, I experienced the worst, most debilitating DOMS I've ever had in 7 years of lifting and exercising. I couldn't sleep well, I had to take several days off due to inflexibility and pain, and I hated life. It existed mostly in my biceps (where it attaches to my elbow), my shoulders, my traps, and my neck (of all things). I'm very cognizent of categorizing things as injuries versus just normal soreness, but I can honestly say this toed the line. It hurt more than it should have.

Before that WOD, I'd never done SDHPs in such high reps before. Today's WOD calls for a 1k row, which is 100 SDHPs. I'm obviously hesitant to do them after my last go-round. I'm curious if last week's pains were just a factor of using muscles that I don't often use (only been CFing for about 6 weeks), or if I should avoid today's WOD and the SDHP. Part of me says 'how will you ever get better or stronger in those muscles if you avoid the movement', but the other part of me says 'you're going away on vacation in a week, don't do anything that will jeopardize your enjoyment, such as 100 sdhps'.

Thoughts? Has anyone else had a severe DOMS experience, and how did you get past it when that same movement popped back up in the WODS?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
Scott Diehl

Profile:
Re: Extreme DOMS from SDHP

I experienced the same thing when I started crossfit with Cindy. Coming from a running background, the air squats left my legs literally sore to the touch, I couldn't walk down stairs, and ruined my workouts for the next 5 or 6 days. I remember thinking a workout shouldn't leave you THAT sore where it negatively impacts your quality of life and almost a week worth of workouts.

Now, Cindy still leaves my legs sore, but nothing like that first time. So you'll get used to it. Sort of. You'll always be a little sore because the wonder of Crossfit is that you're always pushing to the extent of your abilities. I would guess that you'll already be better this time around than last week. Just make sure when you have extreme DOMS like that that you're eating a LOT of protein and drinking a LOT of fluids.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

The fact that extreme DOMS cripples your workouts means you SHOULDN'T do it.

If you are going to do anything you need to scale it back. Your body isn't going to adapt to something in one session so overloading it again with the same exercise is asking for trouble.

I would THINK this would be obvious for anyone interested in performance... but apparently not. The key to increased performance is CONSISTENCY in workouts while mitigating the risk of overuse injuries and fatigue. If you can't consistently workout, you can't get stronger/fitters/whatever.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Hollis Rudiger

Profile:

I posted a similar msg in the Girl Power thread- I can;t tell if I am injured or collosally sore:

"I do have a nagging pain, though, that I think might be more than just DOMS- it's the first time I have ever felt like I maybe pulled my pec-- I was sore for a few days after a pretty pushup heavy WO, and now everything else is good to go again, except for this strange tweaking/pulling/stretching/cramping feeling in my pec/shoulder/armpit area when I do certain everyday things, like pick up my son (17 lbs, not too much!) or reach my arm through a jacket. I have only ever pulled a quad, and that was years ago- But this feels more lingering than DOMS. But. My PEC? I didn;t even think I HAD pecs!"

This is almost 10 days later, and it is still sore, and tweaks a little when I reach up or out. SO annoying! I think I am used to being sore form a lifetime of competitive sports, but if a good hard CF WO is going to make me hurt like this for 10 days, I don't know if I can do it!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis Rudiger View Post
I posted a similar msg in the Girl Power thread- I can;t tell if I am injured or collosally sore:

"I do have a nagging pain, though, that I think might be more than just DOMS- it's the first time I have ever felt like I maybe pulled my pec-- I was sore for a few days after a pretty pushup heavy WO, and now everything else is good to go again, except for this strange tweaking/pulling/stretching/cramping feeling in my pec/shoulder/armpit area when I do certain everyday things, like pick up my son (17 lbs, not too much!) or reach my arm through a jacket. I have only ever pulled a quad, and that was years ago- But this feels more lingering than DOMS. But. My PEC? I didn;t even think I HAD pecs!"

This is almost 10 days later, and it is still sore, and tweaks a little when I reach up or out. SO annoying! I think I am used to being sore form a lifetime of competitive sports, but if a good hard CF WO is going to make me hurt like this for 10 days, I don't know if I can do it!
That's bad. Scale back.

If it is an injury (do lots of massage and stretching..) then you need to take off to let it heal.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
Joe Proulx

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
The fact that extreme DOMS cripples your workouts means you SHOULDN'T do it.

If you are going to do anything you need to scale it back. Your body isn't going to adapt to something in one session so overloading it again with the same exercise is asking for trouble.

I would THINK this would be obvious for anyone interested in performance... but apparently not. The key to increased performance is CONSISTENCY in workouts while mitigating the risk of overuse injuries and fatigue. If you can't consistently workout, you can't get stronger/fitters/whatever.
Thanks Steven. Just some clarification: the severe DOMS only occurred once, and with one particular movement. I do scale all of my workouts (mostly to BrandX pack-level), and like I said, felt no abnormal pain during the workout itself. In fact, this particular workout I was using the bar, and I thought that was scaled enough. But your response begs a further question:

-I obviously overloaded too much with the 200 reps of SDHP. I paid the price. I'll never do 200 reps of ANYTHING if it's my first time doing it.

-This WOD calls for 100 SDHP, half of the one that caused the DOMS, with the same weight (45lb bar).

-Do I go for the 100, with the idea that my body/musculature is more used to this movement now, and coupled with only doing half the reps, I'll be ok? Or do I do what I think you're saying and avoid it alltogether?

I guess I'm struggling with how to ease into SDHP? 20 reps? 50? 10 as part of my warmup?

Thanks for all your advice.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Joe Proulx

Profile:

Quote:
I agree with Steven. 10 days is far too long for normal DOMS. My case was the worst I've had in 25 years of competitive sports and 7 years of mostly-muscle-mag lifting, and it was gone in about four days. I shut it down in the gym for about three days and came back just fine. 10 days is a long time, though I'm not sure I'll be able to tell you what it is or how to avoid it.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

I would personally scale it down by half... 50 reps is good. If you're feeling "fine" by then do more.

But really what's the downside of taking it easy for a movement that raped you last time? Nothing really. On the other hand, what's the downside if you do too much with a movement that raped you last time.... same exact [crippling] results.

Sure you may get a "subpar" workout.. but if you get super DOMS again it's going to make for at least 4-5 subpar subsequent workouts. Much worse result.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Jake Thompson

Profile:

Quote:

Hollis what you are describing does not sound like DOMS, it almost sounds like a nerve issue coming from your neck. Are the symptoms one side or both?

I'd give you more info but the stinkin Badgers just scored on the SIOUX.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
Joe Proulx

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I would personally scale it down by half... 50 reps is good. If you're feeling "fine" by then do more.

But really what's the downside of taking it easy for a movement that raped you last time? Nothing really. On the other hand, what's the downside if you do too much with a movement that raped you last time.... same exact [crippling] results.

Sure you may get a "subpar" workout.. but if you get super DOMS again it's going to make for at least 4-5 subpar subsequent workouts. Much worse result.
50 makes sense. We already know that 200 = severe pain. So if 50 = feeling great a day later, then I can up it next time. Thanks for the explanation. Happy sumo-deadlift-high-pulling!