CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
Hollis Rudiger

Profile:
Re: Extreme DOMS from SDHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Thompson View Post
Hollis what you are describing does not sound like DOMS, it almost sounds like a nerve issue coming from your neck. Are the symptoms one side or both?

I'd give you more info but the stinkin Badgers just scored on the SIOUX.
HA! You know I am from "Stinkin' Badger" Land, right? Go Bucky GO!

On both sides, it is really more in my armpit towards the pec. It is definitely better, I did a few sets of 10 pushups on Fri (on my knees, I am WAY beginner) and it was fine.

I noticed a slight pulling when I reached to pull my 17 lb baby out of the crib this morning, left side only-- I think I just really overdid it- I jumped in a little too fast, forgetting that I was a college athlete, um, over 15 years ago, and that I need to lower my expectations if I am going to stick with this and not really hurt myself. Recovery takes longer now! Injuries happen more easily! And I have 30 extra pounds on me now, ick.

I also need to remember that fine line between good pain and bad pain.
Getting old sux!

(oh, PS, sorry I kinda hijacked this)
Old 03-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #12
Thomas Prewitt

Profile:

I had a similar experience with doing SDHP x 100 this past Friday. It was the first time that I have done these. Was a bit sore, then did Tabata chin-ups on Saturday. After those two work-outs, my biceps are killing me. Really bad yesterday, minimally better today.
As for me, ibuprofen and stretching this time for relief. Next time, I plan to use better judgment. I plan to scale back my volume on the SDHP and put them slowly into my warmups. I usually do that with a new movement/exercise/lift anyway, just got cocky, I guess, and paid for it with the two days back to back.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Joe Proulx

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Prewitt View Post
I had a similar experience with doing SDHP x 100 this past Friday. It was the first time that I have done these. Was a bit sore, then did Tabata chin-ups on Saturday. After those two work-outs, my biceps are killing me. Really bad yesterday, minimally better today.
As for me, ibuprofen and stretching this time for relief. Next time, I plan to use better judgment. I plan to scale back my volume on the SDHP and put them slowly into my warmups. I usually do that with a new movement/exercise/lift anyway, just got cocky, I guess, and paid for it with the two days back to back.
I think part of it is that, at least for my particular workout, the bar was unloaded (45lbs). Something about that made me think "this shouldn't be hard". I've been CF'ing for almost two months...you think I'd know not to say that by now.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 PM   #14
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

Joe,
you might want to also get a bit of coaching on how to do the SDHP. If you're doing it correctly, the arms aren't really involved (especially with 45lbs), except to slow the weight back down at the bottom of the movement. The pull should be something like 80% hip explosion, 10% shrug, and 10% getting the arms out of the way.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Johnson View Post
Joe,
you might want to also get a bit of coaching on how to do the SDHP. If you're doing it correctly, the arms aren't really involved (especially with 45lbs), except to slow the weight back down at the bottom of the movement. The pull should be something like 80% hip explosion, 10% shrug, and 10% getting the arms out of the way.
This.

It does sound like you guys are using your arms too much. Hips drive the movement... like you are thrusting your pelvis at something.. or someone..
Old 03-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #16
Thomas Prewitt

Profile:

Good advice, thanks.
I did get the hip movement after about 60 of these.