CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Charlie Olmstead

Profile:
S3 weight location for kipping

I recently purchased an S3 squat stand. I haven't had to specifically use it too much in the workouts lately but it seems solid and will be a piece of equipment I have forever. Yesterday I did the main page wod which included pull ups. I don't have a great kip, but I'm working on it. I'm 6'8" 210. If I just hang and swing back and forth like I'm about to do a pull up, the squat stand doesn't move, however when I get to the top of my kipping pull up and push back to keep my momentum going, the squat stand tips quite a bit and steals a bit of my momentum. I purchased the base storage and installed them on the back side of the stand. They have 170 pounds of bumpers on them (oddly I have 3 10s). I'm starting to think the base storage wasn't such a great decision or I needed to get 2 sets of them (4 total for front and back).
On the push at the top of my pull up is when I get the tipping. This is because there isn't any weight on the front side of the stand to anchor it. I'm wondering if the vertical storage would be better (used in the rogue squat stand kipping youtube video) since it is in the center of the vertical pipes and might give greater stability or should I purchase another set of the base storage pipes for the front? The extra base storage pipes for the front would not be optimal. They would impede squats or anything where the squat stand was needed for the wod. Stepping back fron the stand with a loaded bar and having to avoid bumpers on the storage pipes doesn't sound like a good idea.
I'm thinking aloud here, if anyone has experience with this or has input, it is most appreciated. Thanks!
One last thing, I would rather not drill into the concrete floor
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Timothy Hansen

Profile:
Re: S3 weight location for kipping

edit: epic-reading fail. I basically just recapped what you said. Adding the vertical storage would help reduce the movement of the S-3.

-- edit

In short, Yes. Moving the weight to the front will be more secure. Allow my "epic" GIMP skillz to demonstrate:

The red arrows indicate the forces applied at the top of a kipping pull up. The bar forces on the bar are "down" and "back", which applies a force at the bottom of "up" and "forward" (see CW torque).

To resist that, see the green arrows, which is essentially "down" and "back" (see green CCW torque).

My concerns with moving the storage to the front, is now you have HUGE spikes just WAITING to impale themselves into your feet, shins, and knees, should you lose your balance coming down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s3-physics.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	9049  

Last edited by Timothy Hansen : 02-27-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Chris Hunke

Profile:

Quote:
One last thing, I would rather not drill into the concrete floor
Then have someone else do it But seriously, this is the best option for a man of your size. Have you tried more weight on the back?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Charlie Olmstead

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Hansen View Post
edit: epic-reading fail. I basically just recapped what you said. Adding the vertical storage would help reduce the movement of the S-3.

-- edit

In short, Yes. Moving the weight to the front will be more secure. Allow my "epic" GIMP skillz to demonstrate:

The red arrows indicate the forces applied at the top of a kipping pull up. The bar forces on the bar are "down" and "back", which applies a force at the bottom of "up" and "forward" (see CW torque).

To resist that, see the green arrows, which is essentially "down" and "back" (see green CCW torque).

My concerns with moving the storage to the front, is now you have HUGE spikes just WAITING to impale themselves into your feet, shins, and knees, should you lose your balance coming down.
Sick paint skills Timothy!
I agree, I think the front death spikes are out. I did the main site wod today and found that I need 260+ pounds on the back pipes to hold the stand down for kipping pull ups. I might need less for the vertical storage but either way I go, I have to have quite a bit of extra weight around.
I can drill holes in my garage floor, I just prefer something less permanent. It looks like I would get 2 sets of the feet (front and back). Damn, this might be what I do. After a quick search, it looks like I could repair the drill holes pretty easily for when we move out.
Thanks for the input.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Timothy Hansen

Profile:

As a "less permantent, but still structurally more sound", You could get a couple (probably 2) sheets of 3/4" sanding plywood, and bolt the rack that THAT (not the floor).

That also gives you the benefit of having a greater surface area to distribute the added weight that's on the back-side!

Isn't physics fun?!