CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Graham Baynes

Profile:
Stud Bar - Yes or no?

A resounding YES. I am not affiliated with the Stud Bar folks, I am writing this because I was very impressed with one and wanted to pass it along in case you were debating buying one.

I personally had a bunch of pipe and the know-how to build my own bar, (plus squat stands out of wood and my lifting platform).

However, my wife's cousin bought one at my suggestion based on what I have read here at CrossFit, plus bands from Iron Woody.

They asked me to install the bar for them. They have exposed floor joists in the basement so locating and proper placement was not an issue.

The construction of this thing is far superior to anything else I have seen and put my hands on out there. I have some metal experience welding etc. and personally don't think I could build anything better, and especially for the price.

The unit went up very easily following the on line directions for putting it up with one person. The cousins don't kip yet, and I demonstrated on the bar and put it through some paces before I let them up on it. I wanted to double check my work of course.

This bar didn't budge, squeak, or twist, NOTHING, it just begged for more abuse. My point is, if you are debating about a bar, just do it, you will not be disappointed.

The only negative is I don't have one . . . yet. Well done Stud Bar.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
John S Park

Profile:
Re: Stud Bar - Yes or no?

I've been kipping on mine every day for half a year and the bar is rock solid. The surface can get a little oily if you don't always wash your hands but i use chalk and wipe the bar down once in a while. It was a great investment and easy installation. I also hang my rings on it It is pretty long so I am able to do dips on one side and do my pull-ups on the other half.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:31 AM   #3
Ron Horn

Profile:

This is a quality product!

If you have trouble with the finish being slippery. Get some of this, take your bar down and spray it (wfs): http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=31YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 09-08-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Josh Elmore

Profile:

We installed one at the studio I train at, freakin awesome.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Patrick Skinner

Profile:

yes. well worth the money. super sturdy.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Benjamin Goodale

Profile:

the stud bat is a very comfotable. a guy i trained with had one and i really liked doing pull-ups on it.

i would note howerver that one day when we were having a max pull-up contest, that the bar started to rotate from hard kip/hard grip. it dind't break or becoming excessively loose, but it did spin some.

i am still thinking about buying one for myself though.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Peter Pomponi

Profile:

A resounding "maybe"

Would I buy it again? No! For the following reason. MADE IN CHINA

When I purchased the product I had the sense that I was supporting a fellow crossfitter/ cottage industry.

For the same $$ I could have gone to my local welding shop and had an equivalent apparatus built to order.

This is a quality product, sturdy, easy to install, delivers on all promises. It just doesn't need to be made in China.

IMHO
Old 09-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Peter Pomponi

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Goodale View Post
the stud bat is a very comfotable. a guy i trained with had one and i really liked doing pull-ups on it.

i would note howerver that one day when we were having a max pull-up contest, that the bar started to rotate from hard kip/hard grip. it dind't break or becoming excessively loose, but it did spin some.

i am still thinking about buying one for myself though.
Seconded, the bar requires constant tightening.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
John S Park

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pomponi View Post
Seconded, the bar requires constant tightening.
I've had my stud bar for over a year, kipping rigorously and even with weight vests. Never once needed to re-tighten the bar
Old 09-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #10
Ron Hoover

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pomponi View Post
A resounding "maybe"

Would I buy it again? No! For the following reason. MADE IN CHINA

When I purchased the product I had the sense that I was supporting a fellow crossfitter/ cottage industry.

For the same $$ I could have gone to my local welding shop and had an equivalent apparatus built to order.

This is a quality product, sturdy, easy to install, delivers on all promises. It just doesn't need to be made in China.

IMHO
Kudos for mentioning this. I know all the arguments for buying things made in China, global economy, etc but I get tired of supporting an economy other than our own all the time. Not taking a moral stand, mind you, just making a statement that it would be nice to support a local "cottage industry" as you mention rather than ship my money overseas like with everything else these days, it seems.