CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Jason Wade Bumba

Profile:
Beginner

Hello! I have read and learned ALOT on this site, but it is FULL of info. I assimilate as much of it as I can, but I am still learning. It is funny that every time I think I know something about fitness I am proven wrong. I am not new to training and I am a bit of a nutrition fanatic (extreme Paleo). I have SO many fitness goals it is hard to name them all, and CF fits in well with my workout ADD. Every time I see someone do something I can't it makes me want to do it. For now though let's just pick my main two goals:

1. Gain lean muscle mass so I look better naked. (I gained more weight in the past on Supersquats than anything and would love to do it again, but although I can squat there is no proper rack in case I pass out or throw up doing the 20 rep squats. Anyone who has ever done them at full intensity knows what I mean for sure.)
2. Get in better overall shape with some specific goals for myself such as one arm chins, etc (I have made fairly good progress on this, but like I said....workout ADD).

I am in great shape compared to the average Joe and in terrible shape compared to the nasty girls (wherever you are thanks to all of you for making me feel inadequate which inspires me). I can do a chin with 70lbs around my waist (I weigh 150 soaking wet), an ugly one arm pushup, dead about 285 on a good day (last time I checked-my cheap bar snapped a while back.), pistols with about 50lbs, etc. My metcon is not so good right now as I despise conditioning. Anyway here is what I am going to do (unless someone has a better idea).

The first week (I am two workouts into this actually) I am doing just the official crossfit warmup. The squats and ab work is easy and does feel like a warmup. The pullups and dips I can complete but 3 sets of 10-15 sounds more like a workout to me. Still, I am going to soldier through it.

Next week I plan to start the beginners workout posted in the May, 03 issue of the CF journal which is basically sprints (I may sub Hindu's, bag work or something else for the sprints. I am a sissy about the cold rainy weather and have crappy running shoes.) and the three major lifts: squats, deads (my fav), and push presses. I know the warmup and the sprinting will not help me gain weight, but I want to be ripped as well as preparing myself to do the WOD, etc. I like the beginner workout because it is already laid out for 12 weeks which will cure my ADD and I have full faith it will work and add pounds to all my major lifts and probably me. I am trying to eat 3000 calories a day which I know is the real key. I guess this isn't a question so much as it is to say hello, thanks, and see if anyone has any jewels of wisdom about all of this.

P.S. I'm Jason and I am the funniest man alive. See you all at the finish line! I will be the little guy with imaginary inflated lats syndrome trying to hit on the girls who crossed the line before me and probably can kick my butt. Warrior women are so hot.

Someday when I can afford it I plan to have my own crossfit garage gym, train Krav Maga, etc...but right now I just graduated massage therapy school and am spending all of my money on national certs, etc. I am thinking of posting my workout results just to make myself finish the next 12 weeks, and maybe my daily diet if anyone cares to see what results I get. I have read forums on dragondoor and lots of other places and although those guys are great too this forum seems to be the most tight knit and in shape forum on the web.
Scott Sonnon would be a much bigger influence if I were richer and more able to decipher sanskrit. The little of what I have from him is awesome though.

"You would rather have a Lexus or justice? A dream or some substance? A Beamer, a necklace, or freedom?" -Dead Prez

Last edited by Jason Wade Bumba; 03-04-2008 at 11:27 PM..
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
Elliot Fuller

Profile:
Re: Beginner

Sounds like you're squared away and good to go, man. It's good you realize the importance of diet. Some will recommend that you get on the Zone's 40/30/30 ratio, but honestly, if you're eating Paleo and getting the protein you need, you're already in a good place (Zone could make it better though )

If strenght gains are what you're looking for more specifically, consider a Starting Strength program. It falls in line with what you're looking for: increased LBM and increased strength on some fundamental lifts. You will gain some fat in the meantime, as SS prescribes adding 1 gallon of milk a day to your diet (for the extra calories to aid in recovery and such), but once you're done gaining, since your diet is already solid, you should be able to drop the excess pretty quickly.

If you don't want to do the beginner's workout, BrandX Martial Arts has a forum dedicated to scaled daily CrossFit WOD's which are still brutal. I'd suggest at least checking them out.

Otherwise, good luck, and welcome!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Jason Wade Bumba

Profile:

I know the zone diet works, but it is against my nutritional outlook. I am a Weston Price convert all the way (not neccessarily really his info, but the people who have taken up his legacy such as Mary Enig). I am certain adding carbs to my diet would help me pack on more weight, but I am not interested in doing it at the sacrifice of my health which I believe most forms of carbs do. The only carbs I can see myself eating would be some fruit and MAYBE sprouted grain bread occassionally. I plan to add a gallon of milk a day to my diet as I have done that in the past (Supersquats gives the same prescription and it works) as soon as I can get my raw milk supply steady. Pasteurized, homogenized milk is terrible for you (IMHO) and I will not drink it. I want to check out the SS book, but that is a money issue right now. I like the Cf beginner's routine anyway because it looks like fun and I am sure it will be condusive to my goals. There are probably more efficient ways to gain weight, but like most people here I have more than just that one goal. My sleep schedule is my problem right now because I am searching for employment and with no daily job to regulate my schedule I am in sleep chaos. I also haven't been doing much heavy leg work because I am nursing a sprained ankle (which is almost healed now). It would have healed long ago, but I was too stubborn to totally stay off of it.
I did the warmup last night again and it actually seemed EASIER than the day before which is weird. I hope to get that same result tonight. My diet is mostly steak, eggs, a little poultry, and some key supplements. (Omega-3 from cod liver oil and flax, Betaine HCL to help break up the protein and fat I eat tons of, vitamin C, and minerals) I have been eating enough calories I think, but I have been terribly undisciplined about scheduling my meals regularly. I have only been eating three or four a day and I know I should break it up into five or six. I'm working on it.
I have also made up a drink I like to call badgers milk (yes I stole it). It is my theory that it is superior to milk in every way for gaining weight, but I have no proof yet. I take egg protein and mix it in just enough water to make it drinkable then add copious amounts of cream. Oila! A no carb replacement for milk! Pasteurized cream isn't my ideal either, but I am doing what I can to maintain within my meager budget and keep my sanity (cream is SO good!). One little glass of this fills me up and I am betting that by the end of the 12 weeks I will be bigger and much stronger. I am just sad that some of my specific bodyweight strength will be put on the backburner, but it is worth it. Thanks for the reply!
The only way I will break this program is if I find a power rack or proper squat rack I can use somewhere...then it is supersquats again. God I hate supersquats.....and I love it too.
On a lighter note I have been looking into the primal diet as of late, and I am 90% sure that when I can afford to go on it the way I want to that I am going to try it. Raw animal products. Yummy. Also on that note I recently stopped drinking raw eggs because of the whole avidin controversy, but I drank like two dozen a day for years and noticed no adverse effects due to any biotin deficiency. Still my paranoia has gotten the better of me and now I go to the trouble of cooking them. I preferred them raw once I got used to it. They digest so much faster and it is so much more convenient. Anyone have any thoughts on the biotin thing? Maybe my deficiency just didn't give any symptoms yet if I had one.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
-Margaret Mead
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Gain muscle mass = eat more + heavy lifting/metcon/HIIT/tabatas
Get in better shape = do WOD

Simple as that.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Doug Holland

Profile:

@ Jason

Quote:
P.S. I'm Jason and I am the funniest man alive. See you all at the finish line! I will be the little guy with imaginary inflated lats syndrome trying to hit on the girls who crossed the line before me and probably can kick my butt. Warrior women are so hot.
Man I want to be 23 again.

Welcome Jason
Old 03-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

You were drinking 2 dozen eggs a day, and you can't fork up the $20 (if that?) for SS?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
Jason Wade Bumba

Profile:

Me too. I'm 32. I just refuse to grow up! Thanks for the welcomes and advice! HIIT and tabatas will add muscle mass? Hmm.. I didn't ever see that one coming. If I start supersquats I probably won't be able to handle much more than three times a week of that anyway (plus the crossfit warmup-I refuse to give that up). When you are hungry a $20 book isn't as good as eggs....except maybe with ALOT of hot sauce. I won't be totally broke much longer. I just decided to start posting while unemployed (maybe because I have the time? LOL). I start work again Friday so in a couple of weeks I may have to get a copy of SS since I keep hearing such good things. Is it similar to The Strongest Shall Survive, etc? Is it better for getting big and strong than the 20 rep squat routine? If the free stuff I know already is going to work just fine then I will get that book later. I now have a theory that any book that can be lovingly referred to as SS will be a good purchase (Supersquats, Starting Strength...okay my theory is dying out...)

"But I don't want to go among mad people!"
-Alice

Last edited by Jason Wade Bumba; 03-05-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: I forgot my quote!
Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #8
Pedro Cabral

Profile:

i almost puked doin the bandx wod
Old 03-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Jason Wade Bumba

Profile:

Really? That is encouraging to know that even the scaled down versions of CF will make me want to vomit! LOL I love this place!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #10
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wade Bumba View Post
Really? That is encouraging to know that even the scaled down versions of CF will make me want to vomit! LOL I love this place!
Oh they certainly will, I often scale them in half, and I'm still the sweatiest, reddest, most pathetic looking in the gym when I finish.