CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Phil Zito

Profile:
Fat loss for a worker?

I work in the construction field and I am poor. For me to eat 6 perfectly balanced meals is really hard. I can eat oatmeal in the morning and leftovers from dinner but its pretty much eating cheap meals each night for example I will have crockpot lean beef with corn and black beans and eat that for 3 days. Or some of the veggie stir fry frozen bags I simply don't have the money or the time to cook 6 perfectly portioned meals.

So any ideas? I weigh 220 im 5'8 I'm about 18-19% bf. I can do crossfit everynight its schedule and I can run at night.

So what I am asking for is ideas, what can i do? I cant be the only one in this situation. I want to get to 180 and 10% BF by hopefully next may.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Fat loss for a worker?

Meat, veggies, some fruit, nuts and seeds.
That's it, nothing has to be perfectly balanced.
Use the search function on these boards and Performance Menu, you'll notice threads of what people are eating.
Buy in bulk, buy local, do not buy processed food.
Track calories along with fat, carbs and protein via Fitday.
Do the WOD.
Eating "right" does not require a ton of money, not perfect meals, but what it does take, is discipline, dedication and determination, and that by the way is Free.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

Chicken is $2 per pound in most groceries. Beef and pork can be $3.99 per pound in my area at it's cheapest. Canned wild salmon is $1.70 per 15 ounce can, a great deal.

Basically for the "Cheap Zone" you want to minimize your cost per block of a Zone meal. Here is a spreadsheet that can help see how expensive different foods are on a per block basis.
Attached Files
File Type: email cheap_zone.xls (22.0 KB, 274 views)

Last edited by Ben Kaminski; 10-19-2007 at 05:19 AM..
Old 10-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Wait till the grocery store puts boneless skinless chicken on sale and stock it up in the freezer. We bought like $80 worth when it went on some crazy sale a while back, and it was like 55 lbs or something I think?

Same with meat. Actually, I'd suggest grassfed. Normally it's super expensive, but check out walunut creek organic ranch they've got grassfed ground beef for like $3 a pound. You'll have a hard time matching that price in the grocery store unless you buy hamburger (which is like 25% fat, and since it's grainfed, it's crappy fat). Grassfed you'll be getting good fats.

Then make yourself some good bulk meals. Me, I like chili, and my wife makes some good "throw a bunch of stuff in a pan and toss it in the oven" meals like Chicken with veggies and cream of chicken soup, etc... I find that meals where everything's mixed together are the best for re-heating, just plop it on the stove (or since winter's coming, and you're in construction, plop it in a pan right on top of your propane-powered space heater), add a little bit of water to keep it from burning (and it gives a better texture I find), heat it up, and enjoy.

Just find "combination" meals you like, like tacos (not zone perfect, but decent), chili, whatever. And once in a while if you have a whole chicken roaster, cook it up, eat just under half for dinner, and pull the rest of the meat off for lunch the next two days. Have a can of "lite" canned fruit cocktail (about 4-5 blocks typically), make sure it's "lite" so it's not loaded down with some heavy syrup, and instead with just a light pear juice (it's literally like double the carbs if you get the heavy syrup kind). Those cost about a buck each, and are good on the go.

Snacks, I like baby carrots, a little beef jerky, and salad dressing for fat (dip the carrots in). There's lots of ways to make it happen.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts; 11-12-2007 at 05:00 AM..
Old 11-11-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
Matt Emery

Profile:

Canned tuna