CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Timothy Cox

Profile:
I'm just starting. I've been lifting weights for about 10 years, on and off. But it's been mostly the 'same old, same old'. I was pointed to this site from another message board, and it peaked my interest immediately. It's good to know that there is a message board here as well to get support and advice.

First, I have a question. I see the WOD, and that a lot of the workouts can be finished in 20 min or less sometimes. Is this all you do for the day, or do you add something to your WOD's?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
James Besenyei

Profile:
Timothy:

First off, welcome to the boards. As far as the WOD's are concerned if you complete them with the appropriate level of intensity, you may not want to add anything. For me the WOD's have been taxing, although I have added some running, and a few sets of cable rows to a couple of them. However, those were exceptions to the rule for me. If you follow the WOD's religiously, and with intensity, and still find yourself wanting, go to the Workout of the Day board here:http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/24.html
Some of the more experienced & and insanely in shape members have posted some grueling WOD's that hurt me to think about at this point in my Crossfit life. Maybe in a few months I'll give a few of those WOD's a try, but they're pretty intense, check 'em out. Hope this helps out. Again, welcome aboard.

--Jim.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Brad Davis

Profile:
LOL. I think we all ask that question during the first week! I know that I did back in October when I started. A couple of weeks later, I wasn't asking that any more...
Old 02-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #4
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Thanks for the responses. I guess I just have to get past the idea that the only way to workout is to spend an hour in the gym.

I actually went into the gym yesterday and did some stuff on my own because of the off day. I did some power cleans, dead lifts, shoulder press and lat pulls with very small breaks in between.

Finished in about 20 minutes. I had my Polar heart rate watch on, and my heart rate was pumping like I was running at a fast pace. So I can see how these workouts would work.

A couple more questions. When a WOD calls for 100 pullups, are most of you able to do that many, or do you just sub jump pullups for the ones you can't do? I weigh 240 pounds, and while I'm stronger than an average male, there's no way I can do 100 hanging pullups. Not even in 10 rep sets.

Also, when the workout calls for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1, is that 1 rep sets at max weight?

Lastly, I noticed in the WOD's there are exercises, then there is an exercise at the bottom with a video. Is that exercise part of the workout?

Sorry so many questions, and I apologize if I could have found the answers without asking, but I searched and couldn't find anything about it.

(Message edited by tc00 on February 01, 2007)
Old 02-01-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Timothy,

No worries about the questions...that's why the forum is here. :-)

Is the WoD all? No, not usually, but I add in running (occasionally), swimming (ditto) or skill practice (practicing cleans/deads/squats/etc). I do the running and swimming because those are skills needed in my vocation. Be careful to not overtrain, it's easy to do sometimes.

100 Pullups? In sets. If You can learn to kip (remember it's a skill and takes time to learn), that will help. Just breaking the 100 into sets works as well. It depends on the workout, too...are you doing a metabolic conditiong (high intensity/low time) workout? Or are you doing something else?

1-1-1...yes, theoretically that's as close to max weight as possible. I usually have to psyche myself up first by start well below the max and increasing the weight until I'm doing the max on the second or third to last rep. Sometimes I just get crazy and try it anyway. Good luck with Crossfit!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Ah. So kipping is the full body pullups? I guess it's what I used to think was 'cheating'?

I'm guessing with the pullups I would just have to keep working my way up to 100.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #7
Daniel Fannin

Profile:
Check here for the kipping pull-ups:

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#Exercises13

(work/family safe)

Yep...the pull-ups take a while to get. Great quote, by the way.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:00 AM   #8
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Thanks for your help.

I'm really excited about this.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:46 PM   #9
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Hey Tim! Glad to see you are excited! Some of your questions, and further ones that will arise can be found here :
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html

Also, if you want to make an investment, consider getting a few of the crossfit journals because they will help you understand the crossfit methodology better.

Oh and use the forum's search option, it's incredible!
Old 02-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
Timothy Cox

Profile:
Thanks for the link Mitch. I will invest in some journals in the near future.

I just checked out Friday's WOD. I'm so ready for that. 6 a.m. session for me.:gunsmilie: