CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Kip Hanson

Profile:
If all goes well I should be starting a Fire Academy in May/June. I used to consider myself fairly fit until exploring this site.

Where should I begin? I've looked at the xfitnorth's fitness levels and can do some of level 2 now. Many exercises are very foreign to me. I know I need to learn many new movements and revisit one's I haven't done much in years (squats, deadlifts).

I know I need to ease into this. Should I start with the beginners workout? Add in a couple rounds of CFWU? Or should I jump right in and do WOD? I did "Fran" (45# bar only and broken/jumping PU's) on Thursday and I couldn't walk Friday! Is that normal? Loved getting a full body workout in under 12 min, though!

My biggest fear is getting injuried and losing out on a new career.

This seems like a great family. The sharing of info and advice is amazining.

Thanks for any advice.

Kip

Some base-lines if need for advice:
5'10'
Push up max: 72
Sit up(military): 56
Pull up: 15 (Kip needs to learn to Kip)
1 Mile: ~7:30
3 mile: ~25:30
Dips: 26
Bench: 255

Need to get my 1RM for squat and deadlift. Need to heal from Fran first.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #2
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Hey Kip,

We have very similar stats, which is odd! I'm
5'11
195lb
push up 71 in a minute
sit up 40 in a minute
pull up 22

Anyway thought that was interesting.

I started Crossfit last May, and all I remember for the ensuing months was constant soreness. I was doing workouts as close to RX'd as I could, but my body wasn't thanking me for it. I pushed through it, and now I'm never sore, but I think that was unnecessary.

If the exercises seem new to you, factor some of the new exercises into your warm up. Scale your workouts (see brandxmartialarts.com.au for help in this) to a level where you can work out 3 days on, one day off without to much soreness.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hello Kip and welcome. Doing the WODs is a great way to get in shape no matter what your profession. However, make sure you ease into the WODs especially if you have been off for several years. Take time to look over the videos in the Exercise section for more ideas. You can take some of those routines and make up your own WODs as well. Son’t worry if you can’t do everything at a certain level right now. In time you will improve. I am a firefighter and I can tell that I am in great shape now (still room for improvement of course) and it is because I took my time and looked over all the exercises and picked out the ones at first that I knew I could do and worked the rest in over time. For myself I love walking lunges with dumbbells and walking up and down the steps with dbs at the fire station as well. These help to keep my legs loose, flexible and strong. I also like to use the 125lb training dummy and go a few rounds up and down the steps also. OH squats, sumo deadlift high pulls, db thrusters, box jumps to name a few have helped me a lot to handle the rigors of firefighting. Continue to ask questions and read the Nutrition section as well to get good ideas on proper intake of nutrients.
Good luck as a firefighter. It’s dangerous, hard training but lot’s of fun.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
Kip Hanson

Profile:
Thanks for the replies!

Gonna go check out brandxmartialarts now.

I am very excited to get going on this! Over time I am going to try and get a garage gym set-up. I've already build the PVC parallel bars. Now I need to figure out what to do with them! LOL! I want some rings but can't afford them now. The muscle up seems like the benchmark around here!

I know nutrition is important, but it's not a big concern for me. My wife is a great cook and we eat pretty healthy. I rarely have soda, fast food or alcohol. I think I will need a protien boost, though.

Thanks again,
Kip
Old 02-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
Kip, welcome to the fire service if this is your first academy. most fire academies get it all wrong with lots of long runs for the recruits. this is contrary to our profession. as an academy instructor, i put my recruits through crossfit type routines. obviously, do not have weight equipment, rowers etc. but it is truly amazing what you can do with a deck of cards, rope, a tower, interval training and the body weight routines. if you go in crossfit, you may actually lose fitness in the academy. however, they will fatigue you with lots of work in bunkers etc. so patient out the academy, maybe do 3 or 4 WOD's a week at home and make sure you hit the books. make crossfit the meat of your fitness program, so to speak, it is perfect training for what we do. lastly, watch out for those station dinners. it is amazing how many firefighters have no clue what to put in their mouths and diet can be tough at work.the zone style of eating(5/6 small meals a day with protein and vegie/fruit derived carbs)is also well suited to being ready throughout your shift.:stirthepot:
Old 02-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Michael Manseau

Profile:
Kip, do a search of the board for the rings & ideas on other equipment. Lots of stuff you can make if you have some time & ability.
:080402gudl_prv:
Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #7
Kip Hanson

Profile:
Thanks fellas. I've been doing alot of reading around the board. Some of the testimonials are amazing! The brandxmartialarts.com board is great too! I think I will use their scaled WOD for a bit as I gain experience/endurance with the moves.

I am finally healed from doing Fran last Thursday! Tomorrow I am gong to get some more base lines for the crossfitnorth's level 2. No rower at the Gold's I go to though!

Been doing L-sits every other night with my bars. 4 sets of 20-25 secs. I have the arm shaking problem many have written about. Gonna try and change form a bit and be patitien. I will get better with time.

Learning about greasing the grove was interesting too. My Drill Seargeant 10 years ago could learn something about not going to failure every set!! I am sure the academy will be mostly body weight exercises, so I am going to start greasing.

Dale, thanks for the insight. I am really excited to start a new career. I am in the background process now.

Michael, I did see that I could make my own rings. I may give it a shot??? Though, $79 for rings was less than I thought they were going to be.

Thanks agian!

Keep the advice coming!

Kip