CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #31
John Seiler

Profile:
Matthew,
I'd be reticent not to have some kind of protection. I would think your two biggest worries would be hard flexion of your calf (too much force for the stitches to hold) or dorsiflexion that overcomes the ability of the repair to hold. I wouldn't think hard calf flexion would be an issue in your sleep but dorsiflexion might if you somehow got your foot caught in the sheets, footboard, etc. Do have any foot/ankle guards from your martial arts? Anything that would prevent your foot from coming up and popping that repair...
Old 04-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #32
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
You know, when my wife wakes up at 6am for work she has been wrapping my ankle in a big ice gel pack and an elastic bandage.

I noticed this supports my achilles well and keeps my foot pointed. I might sleep in that.

I wish I would have kept the splint and wrapping from my post op. That was more comfortable than the boot. :happy:
Old 04-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #33
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
Check with the surgeon on sleeping without the boot. I didn't slice my achilles, but broke my ankle (trimalleolar fracture) last spring and had a surgical repair (screws & a plate).

My dr. made it very clear that I was to sleep in the boot - in fact, have it on 24/7 unless bathing or doing light ROM exercises. Apparently, if I allowed it to relax and plantar flex during sleep it would be MUCH more difficult to get back the ROM to normal & dorsiflexion later. But that could have just been me and my situation.

(Message edited by LisaS on April 15, 2006)
Old 04-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #34
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Good point. My foot is in a full plantarflexed position while in the boot right now. I guess the Dr is going to slowly dorsiflex it over the next 6 weeks.

The problem is the boot really catches in the sheets and "heel hooks" me when I roll over. :-(

I have been icing my foot for 20 minutes an hour for about 4 hours a day.

My wife is Japanese and she is all about the acupuncture after the stitches come out. :-)
Old 04-15-2006, 01:11 PM   #35
Lisa Sorbo

Profile:
try puttnig a spare pillowcase over the boot and lighly tie it around the top or tuck it in. then the velcro and latches don't catch on the sheets.

At first, I slept on top of the bed covers with a light throw over me instead of under the sheets - too much to deal with. Of course, I was keeping the leg up on a pillow while I slept too, so no turning over for me at first.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:20 AM   #36
Misael Lopez

Profile:
Get a night splint. It'll keep the ankle in the prescribed position as you toss and turn, but is quite light enough to sleep in.

I picked up a Healwell Cub Night Splint from an orthopedic supply store. $50 and I slept much easier.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #37
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I was casted for a few weeks, then the boot. When the cast came off, my ankle, my calf, my knee and my thigh were all the same diameter.

My pain level was not exactly background, so I took the boot off at night as soon as I thought I could get away with it.

!@#$%!! it hurt to put the boot on the first time. Sweet #@#$#@%!&! Plus after walking in that @#$%^ing boot for several weeks my back was absolutely killing me. God I hated that thing.

I had a cool cast though. My mom recreated a Miro painting on it:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/23003.gif