CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-10-2006, 11:30 AM   #11
Mark Madonna

Profile:
My Girlfriend (Katie) just severed her achilles tendon in the end of January, She had surgery in February, 7 weeks in a cast, 4 in a larger cast, 3 in a smaller cast that she walked on. Another month in the removable brace where she was to do non weighted calf excercises. She bought a new pair of shoes 2 weeks ago when she got rid of the brace, doc told her not to step in any holes with her heal. She could use a rowed with the cast on and rode a mountain bike to school with the cast on. She did unweighted squats with the brace on.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #12
Tom Brose

Profile:
Really sorry to hear about that Matt. Definitly clamp down on the diet whiole you are hurt. I really regret not being more proactive about that during my knee problems. Its easy for active athletic types to get a little depressed during an injury, and for me that lead to serious BF gain. I am still hammering away at it, but it is a lot slower coming off. As you are a Big guy, I think you could be in the same boat as I was (if you are not careful)

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #13
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Thanks Tom and everyone else.

I have to convince my wife to stop bringing me treats. lol, she just brought home a big Chipole burrito bowl... For some reason I only ate about a 3rd and was full. I can normally scarf the whole thing down.

BTW Tom, I'm getting a 1 pood kettlebell this week from one of the DC T-Cell guys for cheap. I'll pick your brain in a few weeks on some exercises I can work up to. I already have a 1.5 and a 2 pood, but will not be lifting those for a long while.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
Tom Brose

Profile:
As soon as you are up to it, let me know. Most people have to deal with something that puts them out of commision for a while, but I am sure you will be the type to bounce back strong.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 PM   #15
joseph elberti

Profile:

I hope you understand, my comment about fats ment that your ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 fats should remain at roughly between 2:1 and 4:1.

Of course you dont want to gain fat, but the proper ratio of fats present in the body will allow inflammation to clear more quickly... and healing/repair will NOT start to occur until AFTER inflammation has cleared.

Good fats ratio= faster recovery.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:31 PM   #16
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
Ok, I'll give that a shot. Which is better, fish or flax? Or doesn't it matter that much?
Old 04-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
joseph elberti

Profile:

I use both, as well as olive oil.

With the flax though- I only use fresh-ground flax seed because the ligands and fiber are an added benefit, and it is extremely cost effective, but a bit of a pain sometimes if your in a rush.

Rumor has it that fresh ground flax seed is ok up to a day if you refridgerate it, but I dont even give it a chance. I have one serving in the morning (two heaping tablespoons chopped up in a coffee grinder)- and I mix it with a high sulfer content protein because it is supposively anticarcinogenic (I grow my own kefir, and mix it with that, but you can try useing yogurt, cottage cheese or milk as a substitute).

Very good for you, in many different ways.

After my morning flax meal, I have a bottle of fish oil that I occasionally sip out of (I am working towards an all zone parameter diet), or I will use a dollop/sip of olive oil. The olive oil is specially good to take before fatty meals if you are going to eat one, as it'll cause your gallbladder to start kicking in before the sludge arrives.

I know Im long winded.

-fresh ground flax seed
-fish oil
-olive oil
-almonds

Stick with those, and you will be just fine. By the way, fresh ground flax seed tastes great, its got a nutty flavor- goes great with yogurt.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #18
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
Sorry to hear that, but don't foget about continuing to stay active, use an upper body ergometer and do upper body strength training to stay in shape. Diet is key but if you don't do anything than your going to gain extra bf and this might impede healing due to psychological implications (i.e depression, anger) , not what you want. Just a thought.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:54 PM   #19
Tom Brose

Profile:
Seriously, not training the way a Crossfitter is used to really can be depressing. I dont just meaned bummed out, but beware of actual depression. Eating bad will onle make this worse.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #20
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
I just got the 16kg kettlebell tonight. I was doing one legged snatches in the living room until I was caught by my wife.

I can also press the metal splint plate down about and inch with my foot. It took me about 45 minutes of concentrating to get my calf to fire at will yesterday. I was freaking out that I couldn't move my foot and thought the achilles was torn again. But I finally got it moving.

I see the doc tomorrow, either he will be impressed with the flextion or will tell me I'm a dummy for trying.

The diet is ok, but I am so inactive that any extra Kcal is going to my gut. I can't wait to get back to wark next week. At least I will be off the lazyboy...