CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-20-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Here's a safe for everybody link to Glenn Pendlay's Wichita Falls Weightlifting site that gets my highest recommendation.

http://store.wfwclub.com/index.html

Glenn is the most solid and honest businessman I have every dealt with. So far I only have a couple bars from him but they are works of bar making art. In particular his new Economy bar is incredible. The spin is more like a bicycle wheel than a weightlifting bar it is so very smooth and the knurling perfect. Not so shart that it feels like a cheese grater and not so shallow that you can't hang on. Perfect.

If you are in the market for a bar you will love his Economy bar and will gush about it to all of your friends much to their annoyance. At least that's what I have doing.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Eugene,

I recently purchased the CrossFit special. The bar is a real beauty- nice feel, great construction. The bumpers area great, too. Glenn was real helpful to deal with.

Dan
Old 02-20-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Yep, Rog has one of these. Haven't got to play with it and bumpers together but it seemed nice.

I never knew or was picky with the bumpers I use to lift. Didn't know enough about them then.

Now, with some playing with metallurgy I can understand the difference.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 AM   #4
Jason McCain

Profile:
I agree with Eugene. I now have five Pendley bars and love them all.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #5
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
I am new to olympic style lifting, but after years of rotating mag-style chest and back days, discovering the power clean/ push-press was a eye opener. cross-fit and oly-weightlifting has consumed me. im very eager to buy a set from Pendley when i come home from overseas.

can anyone help me with the basics... i.e. the advantages between kilos versus pounds, the crossfit bar versus the econmy bar, and finally, exactly how durable are those rubber bumper plates?
thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
Jason McCain

Profile:
Here is some info in a nutshell.

A kilo is a pound doubled plus ten percent. It's not as hard as it might sound. 10 kilos doubled is 20 and then add 10% which is 2, for a grand total of 22 pounds. 25 kilos would be 55 pounds. With kilos you often will get a weird poundage for a lift. Say you have a standard bar with two 10 kilo plates. This would be 89 pounds where the bar plus two 25 pound plates would've given you the nice round 95 pounds.

IMO if you're going to do the O-lifts get the economy bar. The CF bar works great for the rest. The Economy bar is just a little nicer (you can read the details at their site), has better spin, more flexible, etc.

And the rubber plates are pretty durable. You need to take into account which brand, the bar and what you're dropping them onto. Pendley stuff dropped on a platform or rubber flooring will be quite durable.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
John,

I may be able to help you with a couple of those questions. First of all, I offer the plates in Kilos because Olympic lifting is a sport done in kilos, and anyone with any particular affinity towards OL and who may compete will probably want their set in kilos.

However, most gyms and garages come ready made with the smaller metal plates in pounds... and if they dont, you can go down to your local Play-it-Again sports store or many other local stores and buy cheap pound metal plates for 39 cents a pound or often less. Cheap kilo metal plates are much harder to find.

So, if you get your bumpers in kilos, you either have to get different and often more expensive metal plates to go with them (I sell a set for $169 to give you an idea of the cost) or deal with odd weights because some of your weights are in pounds and some in kilos. However, if you get your bumpers in pounds, you can get dirt cheap metal plates to go along with the bumpers locally.

For this reason while I do sell kilo metal plates, I dont sell pound metal plate sets. It would cost me more to ship them most places than the local cost of the plates. Just not smart for the consumer to buy pound denominated metal plates off the internet.

As far as the bar comparison, the bar I sell on my "crossfit specials" page IS an economy bar, but with a special discounted price for crossfitters. This bar is an upgrade and slightly more expensive than the bar I used to sell on the Crossfit page. It has better knurling, a little better machine work, and a little better spin than the bar I used to sell as a "crossfit special". It also has chrome sleeves and collars while the old bar had bare steel, and was prone to rust. It is also $159 while the older one was $139. Personally, I think the upgraded bar is a better value than the old one even with the extra $20. I sell a lot of these bars at the regular price of $219, and people are very happy with the value of the bar at that price. I believe that Crossfitters who have purchased the bar so far are pleased with the value they got for their money.

As far as the bumpers, I warranty them for one year. However, expect them to last much longer. The 35, 45, and 55lb versions should last virtually forever. I know in my gym we use them pretty hard and have a lot of them, and I have NEVER had one break. A 10kg or 25lb bumper can break if abused. They are simply thinner and not as strong. I usually tell people that if they buy 10 of them, and use them for 3-5 years, expect 1 or 2 of them to fail in some way. thats about the experience I have had with them. If instead of a commercial facility they are used by one or two people in a garage who know how to take care of equipment, and are a little gentler with the bar and dropping when only the 10kg or 25lb bumpers are on the bar, then they should last indefinately. There really is no need to repeatedly drop a bar with a light or warmup weight anyway.

Glenn
Old 02-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
Wow- thats some great advice. Thanks for the conversions Jason. I was wondering about that.
Glenn- thats some absolutely outstanding customer service. Youve got me sold.
I'll be bugging you for a set from you in another month or so once im back and settled in the states. Seriously, I'm so excited I should stop typing before I start rambling.
I've got a couple more questions about purchasing your weight set, but I'll get back to you once im a bit closer to putting my money where my mouth is.
thanks again

Old 02-22-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
John P. S Shopa Jr

Profile:
Ok- one last question...
does the smaller diameter of these quality bars make a big difference compared to these "discount" bars? Does the diameter have more to do with the "whip" or can just a few millimeters make the difference with your grip?
I can't manage a solid hook grip for the life of me with the cheaper bars at the gym.
thanks again.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:
John,

I dont know the diameter of the bars you are using now, but many of the inexpensive bars have diameters of 30-32mm. There is a BIG difference in the ability to hook grip a 28mm or 28.5mm bar vs a 30mm or a 30mm bar.

Glenn