CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-18-2006, 04:34 PM   #1
josh erholm

Profile:  
I starting reading about crossfit about a week ago and did one the WOD's yesterday. It was a great workout but it only lasted about 25 minutes. I have had a small weight problem my entire life and have been able to maintain fairly low bodyfat through weight and cradio training about 1.5hrs a day but, im at that point now where i can't get it any lower. Has anybody on here been in a simular situtation and had success with crossfit? Any info or stories you guys could provide would be great. My main concern is just that before i get commited to doing this workout i want to know if its the right thing to do for my goals. Which is lowering bodyfat.

How long do your typical workouts last?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Hi Josh! Welcome, and yes, you have come to the right place! CrossFit, indeed, will help you lose the weight you want to lose. Being committed is the key. Committed to the workouts (scaling them as needed and building up to the prescribed WOD), committed to learning as much as you can about CrossFit as a methodology and philosophy, about the workouts CrossFit prescribes, the background and foundation, the recommended "diet"-or preferably, the recommended way to eat, and look at how many of the exercises are performed properly under "Exercises" on the main page. These can all be found on the CrossFit website-and it's all free information. Begin with the "Start Here" link on the main page, read "What Is Crossfit?", read "What Is Fitness?", read "CrossFit's Foundations", download the free journals, pay the $5 to get the ones that focus on your needs or specific questions you might have. Look through the FAQ's, continue to get on the message board and read and ask questions. In all of this information you will find multiple ways of answering your question about how CrossFit will help you lose weight-and more.

The workouts are often shorter than what the world has long believed to be the most "effective" length of time for a workout. CrossFit believes in high intensity, varied modalities, using our whole body to create movement and power. These workouts will kick your ***, will make your *** smaller, and you'll be glad they are no longer in duration than they are (usually not longer than 1/2 hr, depending on your own personal abilities). Many people will write in and tell you how it has changed their life, changed their body, and they love it like a religion. There are huge benefits to this methodology if you're willing to put in the effort and the commitment. If you get on the message board and read "Testimonials", that should be inspiration enough. Read the thread on the message board under "Starting", titled "Week 2-new guy to this. Question for trainers." Inspiring. Yet another answer to your question.

Good luck, Josh. Keep us filled in on your progress.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #3
John Messano

Profile:
Josh,

consider adding the CF warm-up to your workouts. (3*{10 [pullups, dips, OHSquats with a broomstick, sits-up, back ext.] the samson stretch}) that'll add another 15 minutes or so.

Good Luck!

John
Old 03-21-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Lisa: very well said.:happy:

Josh: The book: Mastering the Zone by Barry Sears (PH.D.) is highly recommended and is the preferred book here by the CF culture. When I first came on board it was told to me. I bought it and have found it to be a big eye opener toward my overall nutritional knowledge and a major catalyst in my revamped eating habits. With that, I now know what foods cause what biochemical reactions within my body, I know what are protein blocks, fat blocks, ect. I know what’s the difference between saturated fats and monounsaturated fats and what foods produce them. I know how certain foods actually do help in burning body fat even when I am not at the gym. I am definitely not a nutritionist but I now can understand nutritional-ese (a word I made up) enough now that six months ago I would have been absolutely clueless on. When the conversation about my diet does come up among other people I have to actually tone down some of the terminology because I can tell when I am starting to loose people. TBL(The Bottom Line) is that it's all about commitment, patience and attitude. Change your attitude towards your eating and approach towards your exercise and you change your lifestyle and looks for the better. I burn more body fat, sweat more profusely, feel more wiped out even into the next day after 20 minutes than what I use to feel after 2 hours of exercise. Good luck and welcome
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #5
Chris Jordan

Profile:
"My main concern is just that before i get commited to doing this workout i want to know if its the right thing to do for my goals."

Surely you can afford to give it your all for a month, though two would be better. If the workouts (including warm-up) feel too short spend the extra time reading and learning. Stick with it, work hard and you'll understand. If you have any questions the community here is amazing.

You can pick up Mastering the Zone used for $1 on amazon in hardback. But don't stop there. CrossFit Journal #21 is an excellent resource. Julie and I refer to it frequently. But we get most of our new recipies out of "Zone Meals in Seconds".
Old 03-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Josh, you've found the right place to achieve your weight loss goals. As a matter of fact, I expect you'll find that you will achieve a number of other things above and beyond your goals that you hadn't anticipated.

I'd suggest that you commit to a month of doing Crossfit. I'd bet that long before that month is over you'll be hooked and motivation will be no problem whatsoever.

If you really work hard and give the workouts your all the perception that they are "short" will be gone quite quickly. You may actually find yourself wishing they were shorter.

I'd also suggest that you don't just do the WOD. Start off your session with the Crossfit warm up (a workout in itself for many people) and finish off your sessions with some skill training. For example, today I did the warm up, then the WOD and finished off with some drills to practice the Olympic lifts I'm still learning.

If you find that the workouts are difficult to do because of your home or commercial gym set up, find alternatives and try to stick as close to the prescribed WOD as possible. I have a list of alternate workouts I can send to you if you'd like. Send me an email if you're interested.

Stick to the program and you'll see dramatic results. This past month I dropped 13 pounds and added muscle. While weight loss was my main goal, I'm most impressed by the strengh and skill advancements I have made.

Be sure to search the forums for any questions you may have and if you don't find the answers, ask. The comminity here has been so incredibly supportive for me and I expect you'll find the same.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Josh,

I wasn't sure either if this would work. In January when I started i was about 222 pounds 5'10. Now almost 3 months in i'm 226 pounds but the body fat has been dropping off. Went from 38 to 35.5 waist. My body is turning into a rock. Never seen these kind of results doing anything else.

I have realized though that the most important thing is keeping to the zone. Go out and buy eggs, fruits, veggies, and chicken, cottage cheese, yogart,etc. Measure out a zone combination and then write it down for future reference. After a while you'll be able to recycle these meals. On my fridge I have the protien/carb ratios for different levels of protien and carbs. For example I know that if I have 4 eggs (25g protien) then I need about 31g of carbs. 4 eggs and one package of oatmeal meets this. Just make sure you have some fat in the meal. I typically take fish oil with every meal. You can get totally crazy with the zone but don't.. you'll just lose your mind and get off track.

Next week i'm going to climb mt. washington in new hampshire, something I was unable to do 1 year ago because i was training all wrong for it. I am supremely confident this time.

Just do it !!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2006, 12:11 PM   #8
josh erholm

Profile:  
Thanks for all the info, i ordered the zone book yesterday. You guys are right about the motivation not being a problem. It seems that with regular weight training you get into a boring routine that you never want to do but, with these workouts changing everyday and seeing everybody elses times it drives you to try and beat those times. I've added the CF warm up and a little bit of interval training for cardio to the WODS. The workouts are tough but, the only one that i have not been able to complete was the pull up one from the other day, it killed me. I switched to lat pull downs about half way through. Anyway thanks for the help.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #9
Jason Billows

Profile:
Glad to hear you're so motivated.

I'm still not able to do a full pull up myself, but I'll pass along a little advice that I have read from others on the forums.... You're best not to substitute lat pulldowns for pull ups. They're very different exercises. When you begin to fail on pull ups switch to assisted pull ups (gravitron, or rubber bands) or switch to jumping pull ups. It'll allow you to continue while still working the full movement.

Keep it up and good luck getting those times down.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #10
mike grant

Profile:  
Ok people, I have been arond traing for 30+ years now. Always looking for a new and differnt type of traing. I have been a Special Op's guy, a Head Strength and Conditioning Coach in Division 1 College for year's. Just got through with my first week of crossfit and I'm beat. This stuff is great, can not get enough . Keep up the good work here!