CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Piyush Aggarwala

Profile:
3 hours to cook 1 weeks worth of meals? What the...?

Alright folks - so today was my first attempt at some real cooking (heh). After cooking my entire weeks worth of meals, I didn't realize but it took me around 2.5 hrs to cook (for the entire week). Is this how long it normally takes you guys for a week in advance?

My first weeks daily meals comprise of 4 meals.

Bfast - I have it cooked at work
Snack - Smoked Turkey, Nuts, and a fruit
Lunch - Baked chicken + bacon (don't judge), eggs, steamed veges
Snack - Smoked Turkey, Nuts, and fruit
Dinner - Salmon, Marinara sauce (probably not paleo, but whatever), steamed veges.

Given that the snacks took me under 5 minutes to prepare, everything else took me around 3 hours.

Trying to analyze why it took me so long:

1. My first time trying this out
2. I cooked my chicken baked for 45 minutes (oven at 450 degrees F)
3. 20 minutes to cook my bacon and 5 eggs
4. Salmon took me an hour to cook 5 days worth
5. steamed veges took 30 minutes ...?

Even still (yes, a discrepency in my times), I was hoping I'd be done in 1.5 hours. A few questions for you:

1. Is 2 1/2 hours of cooking time 'reasonable' for a first timer (without burning a thing?)
2. How can I cook this faster? Tips on steaming? Baking? etc...?
3. Am I making too much food?
4. Anyone want some? Delish!

Only reason why I'm not bugged out is because i'm on X'th glass of wine.

P.S. Yes - I know I'm super boring eating the same meal for a week straight.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: 3 hours to cook 1 weeks worth of meals? What the...?

That's a pretty reasonable time for that amount of food. 180 minutes divided by ten meals is only 18 minutes per meal, after all.

Be sure to distinguish between start to finish cooking time, and actual time spent in front of the stove. The chicken and salmon, for instance, shouldn't have required any attention once you got them into the oven. So you could have used that time for cleanup, to cook the bacon, chop and steam the veggies, enjoy another glass of wine, or whatever.

In your place, I might have chopped the veggies in advance, but probably wouldn't have bothered to steam them. They keep better raw, and steaming takes about five minutes in the microwave. Plus, if they were raw I could make a last minute decision to throw together a stirfry or something later in the week.

You can usually scale quantities up without it taking appreciably longer, assuming your equipment is big enough. Which means whenever you cook, make lots.

Don't forget your point 4. You can eat fast food for less than 18 minutes a meal, but nothing as yummy as what you just cooked.

Bon appetit!

Katherine
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Jason Needler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Aggarwala View Post
P.S. Yes - I know I'm super boring eating the same meal for a week straight.
There's another way to do it?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Piyush Aggarwala

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
That's a pretty reasonable time for that amount of food. 180 minutes divided by ten meals is only 18 minutes per meal, after all.

Be sure to distinguish between start to finish cooking time, and actual time spent in front of the stove. The chicken and salmon, for instance, shouldn't have required any attention once you got them into the oven. So you could have used that time for cleanup, to cook the bacon, chop and steam the veggies, enjoy another glass of wine, or whatever.

In your place, I might have chopped the veggies in advance, but probably wouldn't have bothered to steam them. They keep better raw, and steaming takes about five minutes in the microwave. Plus, if they were raw I could make a last minute decision to throw together a stirfry or something later in the week.

You can usually scale quantities up without it taking appreciably longer, assuming your equipment is big enough. Which means whenever you cook, make lots.

Don't forget your point 4. You can eat fast food for less than 18 minutes a meal, but nothing as yummy as what you just cooked.

Bon appetit!

Katherine

Thanks Katherine. Given that my vegetables are purchased cut and frozen, can I still avoid steaming them? I'm thinking about bringing my food to work and not really worrying about how they'll defrost. Thoughts?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Michael Dries

Profile:

http://www.birdseyesteamfresh.com/ve...s/default.aspx WFS

cut your veggie prep time with these. Also, I dont know if you have Shop rite in Dc, but the shop rite brand is great too. 4minutes and you have 3.5-4 cups of steamed veggies. I stock up when they go on sale. Sometimes less than a dollar per bag.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyush Aggarwala View Post
Thanks Katherine. Given that my vegetables are purchased cut and frozen, can I still avoid steaming them? I'm thinking about bringing my food to work and not really worrying about how they'll defrost. Thoughts?
If you buy them already frozen, I'd just leave them alone until you're ready to eat, then steam in the microwave.

Katherine
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Based on some of the top times I've seen at my affiliate, and comparing those to Games competitors, I'd say about 100 minutes for women and 120 minutes for men (for a week's worth of meals for time) would be considered "elite".