CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-28-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Geoff Street

Profile:
When to listen to your body...

I decided to pick up doing CrossFit a few days ago and today would be the third workout if I'm going to do 3 on, 1 rest day. My body is screaming for mercy, and I'm more sore than I've ever been. Should I rest or work today?
Old 12-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Joey Powell

Profile:
Re: When to listen to your body...

Rest. Overtraining sucks and is counter-productive.

Build up as you can-

1-on, 1-off, repeat

2-on, 1-off, 1-on, 1-off, repeat

2-on, 1-off, repeat

3-on, 1-off, 2-on, 1-off, repeat

3-on, 1-off, repeat
Old 12-28-2008, 02:49 PM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Please, please scale the workouts using the Brandx workouts located here: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ (WFS)
Each day's workout will be posted there, along with a scaling. Start at Buttercups for a few weeks and then move up when you feel ready. Remember that the workout as posted daily is designed to "crush elite athletes"!
BrandX is a Crossfit gym and they start ALL of their athletes whether in top-notch condition or not, at the Buttercups level.
Ramp it up safely and be in it for the long haul.
Take your 4th week off, then each 4th week after as a "half-intensity week". Take a week off every 12 wks.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:02 PM   #4
michael Galietta

Profile:

A good thing is the soreness issue improves over time, I just started week 8 and have gone from near death experiences down to plain old fashioned agony
I love CF and am getting more used to it. On the other hand, the exercises and WOD's have enough variety and enough of the unexpected you'll likely always have some soreness issues because it keeps your body guessing in a good way.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #5
Geoff Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Please, please scale the workouts using the Brandx workouts located here: http://www.crossfitbrandx.com/index..../viewforum/16/ (WFS)
Each day's workout will be posted there, along with a scaling. Start at Buttercups for a few weeks and then move up when you feel ready. Remember that the workout as posted daily is designed to "crush elite athletes"!
BrandX is a Crossfit gym and they start ALL of their athletes whether in top-notch condition or not, at the Buttercups level.
Ramp it up safely and be in it for the long haul.
Take your 4th week off, then each 4th week after as a "half-intensity week". Take a week off every 12 wks.
Unfortunately I don't really have the time to take entire weeks off. I've only got a little under 3 weeks to get myself back into shape, or I'm really going to end up hurting myself. And I'd normally agree with starting really easy, but again, time is an issue for me. I'm going to take the day off, because I can't even stand up without grabbing on to something.

Quote:
On the other hand, the exercises and WOD's have enough variety and enough of the unexpected you'll likely always have some soreness issues because it keeps your body guessing in a good way.
Since squats and pullups have been something I've never been good at (and therefore never practiced!) this hit me a little harder than I'm used to. Feels great, though.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
Emily Maisannes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Street View Post
Unfortunately I don't really have the time to take entire weeks off. I've only got a little under 3 weeks to get myself back into shape, or I'm really going to end up hurting myself.
Why only 3 weeks? Did I miss the memo?

The problem is that if you end up hurting yourself before your three weeks are up, you're back to square one anyway. Scaling is your friend, especially in the beginning!
Old 12-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Adam Jamieson

Profile:

In that case I'd make foam rolling (or tennis ball if you don't have access to a foam roll) a daily thing. It's ganna hurt but it'll help with the soreness.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Robert Callahan

Profile:

A better question would be, "when to not listen to your body?" Since you should ALWAYS be listening to your body That does not mean that at the first sign of pain or soreness you stop working out, but it also does not mean you go regardless of pain or soreness.

Use your brain, and listen to your body. You will not go from untrained to elite fitness in three weeks, and you could easily hurt yourself trying. My advice would be to do the best you can and next time plan ahead better

-Robert
Old 12-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Geoff Street

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Maisannes View Post
Why only 3 weeks? Did I miss the memo?

The problem is that if you end up hurting yourself before your three weeks are up, you're back to square one anyway. Scaling is your friend, especially in the beginning!
I've got something going on at school this upcoming semester that I need to be ready for. I hurt myself pretty bad back in September so I haven't done real training aside from occasional rowing on a C2 or swimming. So here lies my dilemma, if I work too hard, I'm gonna hurt myself, and if I don't work hard enough, I'm probably going to get injured later.

Quote:
In that case I'd make foam rolling (or tennis ball if you don't have access to a foam roll) a daily thing. It's ganna hurt but it'll help with the soreness.
Never heard of this before. What is it?

Quote:
do the best you can and next time plan ahead better
Yeah, I really wish I had. But it's a little late now. I have no illusions of becoming a complete rock in 3 weeks, but I need to get as close as I can.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
Patrik Van Pée

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Street View Post
My body is screaming for mercy, and I'm more sore than I've ever been.
maybe you should rest...