CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-22-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
John Phipps

Profile:
The autumnal equinox is today at 22:15. I usually fast around the change of the seasons and will do so today. My last meal was last night about 10pm and my next meal will be some time tomorrow.

I feel there are more benefits then drawbacks to going a day or so without eating. My diet is a mish-mash of zone-paleo and what I like to call caveman eating. I sort of think to myself that for today and tomorrow I am an unsuccessful caveman and couldn't catch any food or find any nuts, seeds, roots, berries or fruit to eat. Any other intermittent fasting folk want to join me?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
Alex McClung

Profile:
Hey John,
Cool post. I've been intrigued with IF but until 2 weeks ago I didn't have the spine to give it a go. Found spine and started fasting every other day, and have been for about 2 weeks. I'm going breakfast to breakfast, so it's a 24 hr. deal. On fast days I indeed feel like a very unsuccessful caveman. Started the program at 21% BF. Doug (team greenberry farm) and I are pulling this effort through Mid November as an experiment in discipline and an experiment in metabolism. I'll let you know how the whole thing turns out. I did PR Helen yesterday, which was coincidentally a fast day. So far no measureable loss of strength, although I have shed about 3 lbs. I think it's too early to tell. Interesting note: I have no appetite when I go into my first meal off-fast.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Are you guys drinking tea or anything during your fasts? I like to drink some green tea to give me a little caffine, and stave some of the hunger.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
Troy Archie

Profile:
I’ve found that a coffee during a fast gives you a wicked buzz.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:55 PM   #5
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Hey man,

I'm late on this, but I'll fast until tomorrow night. Birthday present to myself. Cavemen 4 life.

"Yes I'll have the roast duck with mango sauce please."
"I'm sorry, I don't have much of an appetite."
Old 09-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #6
Alex McClung

Profile:
I like to have a pint of milk in the afternoon, or maybe a V-8 juice. Purists might claim this isn't really fasting. Maybe I'll drop those at some point.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:30 AM   #7
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Well __technically__ milk is like a meal. But then, I have known people who fast with very very small meal(s) throughout the day. Your body should still be in "fast mode" while it is being underfed, so a meal of 2 or 3 blocks in the afternoon, or at lunch, if needed, is not necessarily bad.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #8
John Phipps

Profile:
I still take my vitamins, fish oil and a caffeine pill in the morning along with water all day long when I fast. I also drank a glass of milk with a scoop of protein powder and glutamine last night before bed. I have been losing a bit of weight lately, maybe 10 lb in the last 3 months or so and I wasn't real strict.

It was hard last night with my wife cooking and her asking me to finish preparing dinner while she looked after my step-grandson. I am 43 and I don’t want to think of myself as a grandpa. My 26-year-old stepson has a 2-year-old son. My oldest son is 19, and I have two other kids, a daughter who is 17 1/2 and my youngest son is 16.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
Brendan Melville

Profile:
I did 24 hrs of fasting, and then went out for my birthday to a japanese restaurant. The fasting was the first 24hr fast I had done in a long time, and it was not as bad as I remember. I worked out right before I went out to eat, and I felt great. My only meal throughout the day was green tea and water.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:53 AM   #10
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I do 15-hour overnight fasts pretty much daily and have some tea most every morning. It's a nice caffiene and antioxidant kick.