CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #1
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I was wondering if I can drink more than water during an intermittent fast? I would like to drink a variety of teas with no ,sweetener, milk, or anything for that matter. Would this destroy the purpose of the fast?

On a side not I tried White Tea today and really liked it. Luckily my girlfriend got it for free at the coffee shop she works at (it normally goes for $120+ per pound). It supposedly has the highest antioxidant content of any of the teas.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Jason Lauer

Profile:
Also could someone point me toward some further reading on intermittent fasting or fasting in general? It would be very appreciated. I know the basics, but I'm always looking for more information.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jason-
So long as you stick to things like tea and coffee it may actually enhance the adrenal cortical action.

Put the topic in google and stand back! The is a load of info. I will have available a nutrition guide incorperating IF and the zone soon so keep an eye open for that.
Robb
Old 03-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #4
Steve Lewis

Profile:  
Hello Jason,

I do a fast once or twice a year and have done this for the last 4 years or so. Tried a number of different ones and the one I have used the last 3 or 4 times is from Dr. Schulze. It works well for me and I feel good while doing it.

here is the link to take a look at it:
http://www.800herbdoc.com/p34.asp

I don't know if it qualifies as intermittent fasting, however it is worth a look to see if it may work for you.

Robb,
I am interested to see what you have in regard to IR and will keep a lookout for your post.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #5
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Rob,

Can't wait!

-Jay
Old 03-28-2004, 03:41 PM   #6
Buckeye

Profile:  
I'm intrigued by the intermittent fast concept and was interested in trying a 2-4 day fast, depending on my will power. Should someone workout while on the fast? Also, what is best: a water only fast or one that includes only herb teas and fresh vegatable drinks?
Old 04-03-2004, 07:09 AM   #7
Paul Kayley

Profile:
Buckeye - I would advise against such a long fast. Are you just being impatient, or is there something you have read about this which you are interested in experimenting with?

I would suggest that this is an unhealthy practice with more negatives to consider than positives.

Their are all sorts of arguements out there for various strange practices. Some women on UK TV just the other day was advocating the health benefits of regularly drinking and washing in your own urine! (No it wasn't April 1st either) Needless to say I wont be rushing out and trying that one.

I hope you get to read this in time before you pass out!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:24 AM   #8
Dan

Profile:  
The 2 books to check out are:

Fasting and Eating for Health : A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease by Joel Fuhrman

Miracle of Fasting by Paul Bragg

Both books are relatively cheap, it's a good idea to educate yourself before making a decision. You can expect to lose an average of about a pound a day, most of it over the first 2 - 3 days. My goal was not wieght loss, rather healing and eliminating toxins from my body. I've also had problems with endurance and fatigue, which improved as I continued to tweak my diet, but not as good as they should be. I'm in the midst of my first extended fast. Since I'm not fighting a disease it will be about a week... so far so good. Expect to take it easy, no exercise.