CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Steve Mowery

Profile:
Energy Foods..

Originally posted by accident in the competition section, sorry about that!

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone knows of decent foods to eat that will give a fast boost on energy? I am a Deputy Sheriff in the south that uses the usual stimulants (Coffee, energy drinks / shots etc...) Those are getting expensive and most are not very healthy. Anyone know of a good alternative that has worked for you that will give similar affects as the previously mentioned stuff?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Joey Shishineh

Profile:
Re: Energy Foods..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mowery View Post

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone knows of decent foods to eat that will give a fast boost on energy? I am a Deputy Sheriff in the south that uses the usual stimulants (Coffee, energy drinks / shots etc...) Those are getting expensive and most are not very healthy. Anyone know of a good alternative that has worked for you that will give similar affects as the previously mentioned stuff?

Thanks,
Steve
workout consistently, get a good nights rest (7-8hours), and eat balanced (protein, carbohydrate, fat) quality (avoid processed) foods. I find that if I miss one of these 3 elements, I feel more tired and irritable. I wouldn't say there are specific energy foods, rather a regiment that compliments higher energy. which includes the above listed.

What's your training, sleep, and diet look like?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Brian Androsian

Profile:

I doubt you're going to find any food that gives you that kind of energy, cause you're currently getting the energy from caffeine. Nuts usually work for me, I'm partial to cashews. Also a protein like beef jerky usually keeps me awake. However, don't expect the same effect as energy shots. They're nothing but caffeine and way too much B vitamins.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Nicolas Michaud

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mowery View Post

Hello all,

Thanks,
Steve
My first suggestion is too late: don't get hooked on that junk in the first place.

second may not work well: adjust sleep times. Wake up a few hours before a shift, give your body tme to come out of sleep mode. [would nvolve hitting the bed earlier though]

third could work: don't eat meat before the tail-end of your shift and start your day with fruits and grains. Some high fiber cereal with [Kashi is good] strawberries and blueberries and a glass of OJ to wash it down, try having the cereal dry, or go skim or soy milk if you can't stomach dry cereal.

Also avoid grease, potatoes and large servings of meat during your shift [large being bigger than your palm]. Bring a piece or two of fruit along such as apple, orange, tangerine, banana or even some watermelon.

one of those could work for ya. If anything suggest helps please let me know