CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 06-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Justin Algera

Profile:
So the wife and I had our first Muay Thai class last night... It was great, and definitely outside both of our comfort zones. Its extremely hard for me especially since I'm usually a pretty quick study and usually excel at everything I do, but this is obviously a totally different thing for me. But I had the best time and cant wait for more. Its been a life long dream of mine, and I have finally taken that step. I can say this will be something I do for the rest of my life. The goal is to obviously get better and better, and branch out into more, but now Im crawling.

My question is how long has everyone else been training and doing "their" martial art(s)? I ask mainly so I can get gauge when I will begin to get more comfortable and (hopefully) better. Right now we will be going about 2-3 times a week, and from researching and going to various places, I think this is a pretty good school (5points fitness in NYC). Also, since I tend to be obsessive and always striving to be better at what I do (same goes for the wife) I know we will be practicing non-stop away from the gym as well. So any info, wisdom, and tips all you experts can give would be great.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:01 PM   #2
Matthew Nielsen

Profile:
5 Points is a top gym in NYC. I have brought fighters up to their shows.

I've been in K-1/Muay Thai since late 1994.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
Bill Russell

Profile:
You may get 'comfortable' in a week or two, or maybe a month or two. It's different for everyone.

I think the most important thing when learning a new physical activity is to go in with an open mind and leave your ego in the car. You may be very good in many other disciplines, but you are a newbie now so let your new instructors do their job and teach you. Too many new students feel a need to tell everyone how great they are with something else. Guess what? Nobody wants to hear it!!

I travel a lot for work and make a habit of dropping in to ma schools whenever I can. I go in like a white belt and listen and learn.

BR

Old 06-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
i've been doing BJJ for a couple months now, so i am a rank newbie. i second what bill said. i would also add that there will be inevitable plateaus where you feel like you are working and working and not getting any better. you will wonder--is this REALLY for me? and then, suddenly one night everything will start to flow and you will wonder why it seemed so hard before. i was struggling for awhile (made worse because i roll with guys 80# heavier than me and strong) and my instructor had to explain this phenomenon to me. he pointed to a couple of the best, most respected members of the class, told me about their moments of doubt, and told me it happens to everybody.
just keep going to class, keep trying your best, keep an open mind, and keep enjoying what you do. don't stress or injure yourself.
good luck to you and your wife!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Gregory E. Hotaling

Profile:  
Hello Everyone. I Have just re-started my MMA training. I was into martial arts when I was young, but never competed. I am 34 and in the Army. What I wanted to know is: Does anyone know of any good BJJ, MMA or Muay Thai schools near Columbus Ga. I am headed to Benning for a while and want to get some training in. Thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
Gary Turner

Profile:
Hi!

Judo 1976-1991.
Traditional japanes ju-jitsu 1985-1991
Lau Gar Kung fu 1988-1991
Full contact kickboxing 1990-2000
Sport ju-jitsu 1993-2004
MMA 1991-1996, and again from 2006 to present...
Thai boxing 2001 to present...
Boxing 2001 to present...
K1 style kickboxing 2001 to present...

Still competing!

Smiler
Old 06-22-2006, 10:31 AM   #7
Justin Algera

Profile:
Thanks for all the replies so far...Yeah, the fact that it is so humbling also is a big plus for me. I like putting myself out of my comfort zone, and I like learning new things. Plus this is something that is a life learning process and I feel that there will always be new challenges and things to learn with this. Problem is I think I drive coaches/trainers crazy sometimes because I am always asking questions and "bugging" the hell out of them, lol.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
David Stegman

Profile:
I've been training in Martial Arts for 19 years now. I started in TKD/Karate when I was 15. I did that up until 1996 when I quit and went 100% into Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. I've been doing that ever since!

I used to train everyday of the week but that was before I had kids, job, mortgage, etc. I currently train about 4 times a week now and it fits my schedule pretty well. I really don't think I would want to train everyday again even if I could.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #9
Anthony Cecil

Profile:

Been training in all kinds of stuff for 20+ years. I love teaching but still consider myself a student of almost anything I can get my hands on...
Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
1979 traditional MA. Started Kali/Jun Fan 1981. Seems like yesterday, still have a lot to learn.