CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 03-03-2006, 01:03 AM   #1
Jared Waltz

Profile:
I was watching the UFC All Access TV show on Spike, and this was the episode where they followed around Rich Franklin.
The weight training segment they showed was a 60-minute circuit, with 10 stations.
With the exception of the EZ-curls, it was ALL machines!!

I think it would be cool to see one of these All Access episodes and have a high-profile UFC guy doing CrossFit stuff!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #2
Roger Smith

Profile:
Interesting show, but who knows what he really does. Maybe this is one day of the week who knows. The shows are about as bad as Muscle & Fitness. You can't believe anything in it....
Old 03-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
I saw the show. They were pretty detailed with his weekly regimen, listing how frequently he performed each type of WO. That WO Jared was mentioning I believe was performed 3x per week. It was disappointing how many isolation exercises he was performing, but he'd kick my *** any day of the week. He also performed sprint intervals on his treadmill for the camera (first thing in the AM), saying he did this 5 days per week.

Of note to CF'ers, this guy's diet was very Zone-like. He was meticulously measuring out his macronutrients with a food scale. He stated he eats very strict and clean 6 days a week, then has a hardcore cheat day. He was under 6% BF.

As a DC I particularly enjoyed the segment how he raved about how important his Chiropractic visits were in maintaining his musculoskeletal integrity. A good plug for that doctor for sure.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:55 PM   #4
Dave Campbell

Profile:
I saw the show also. While he was weighing out his food Zone-style, he was also chowing down on the oatmeal. Used it for lunch and put it in his shake. Not sure if that's really Zone-like?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
Well it's certainly not Paleo-Zone but I've read many posts of people who use it for their morning carb block prescription. I always thought it would be great to use in a pinch, but I just really can't stand the stuff.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Sean Guerrant

Profile:

Zone recommends slow cook steel-cut oats. They're actually good. McCann's (I think that's the spelling) Irish Oatmeal makes some found in most supermarkets in the US. I have them (when I'm home) in the morning because for 3 blocks (i think) they're awfully filling - I sprinkle a little cinnamon and sugar sub on top - yummy! So, depending on what kind he had, maybe no Zone foul there.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:44 AM   #7
Michael McMahon

Profile:
Maybe with all the work he does, treadmill, high intensity weight training and mat work/boxing he needs additional carbs and has adjusted his diet for that?
Old 08-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Alex McRobie

Profile:
Re: UFC All Access: Rich Franklin

Rich is my idol, a friken tank job.

the reason he uses machines is because he does a really quick circuit where he would have to set up A LOT of bars with A LOT of different weights which isnt exactly ideal.

i got money saying that Jason Khalipa or Josh Everett or someone of the like would get killed by one of his workouts
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #9
Doug Blankenship

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
i got money saying that Jason Khalipa or Josh Everett or someone of the like would get killed by one of his workouts
Let's not get out of control here. Josh and Jason would probably keep up just fine.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex McRobie View Post
the reason he uses machines is because he does a really quick circuit where he would have to set up A LOT of bars with A LOT of different weights which isnt exactly ideal.
I would guess the reason he uses machines is because that's what his S&C coach tells him to do. A lot of us here do really quick "circuits" with no machine (Filthy Fifty anyone?)

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)