CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 08-19-2005, 02:58 PM   #1
Corinne Thieleman

Profile:
I went from being able to do 0 regulation pushups to doing 4! From 4 dips (off a low stone wall with feet on the ground) to 11. From running 400m in 3:30 and stopping twice to walk to 3:10 and no stops. From serious knee pain on all motions to NO knee pain unless I am stone cold and stiff. I've lost 2# in 5 days.

But the most amazing thing is how I feel. I can feel all my muscles now. I FEEL like I am already fit and shapely, and when I see my reflection in a glass store window I am truly astonished that I still have this huge body. I don't feel the huge body anymore. This is SO COOL.

Today, I did a 3-mile hike with my dog, and just about an hour later did a workout of 1/4 Murph. (Thank you Robin for the idea!!) I managed to complete the whole thing too, adjusted as follows: 1/4 mile run, then 5 sets of 5-10-15 pullups, pushups, squats, 1/4 mile run. All pullups were jumping but I got my chin over the bar everytime. The first three sets of pushups were on my knees but the last 2 had to be done off the hood of the car. All squat sets were unbroken (although form suffered on the last set.) The second run was only half run/half walk. Total time: 21:46. Aside from the headache about which I posted in the injuries forum, I felt superb after I was done. My body felt as loose and as strong as it ever has, even though I was worn out from the exercise.

Honestly, Thank God for CrossFit!
Old 08-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Corinne Thieleman

Profile:
I should probably amend this to say, no knee pain in ordinary ROM. I still have some pain in lateral movements, such as when trying to sit with that foot on the opposite knee. Can't do it. But for so long it hurt to even MOVE my knee. Who knew one week of exercise could benefit so much?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
James Edward Magill Jr

Profile:  
Great work Corinne!

I am also doing the beginner's workout and really enjoying it. I am posting my own progress here:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/12967.html
Finished week 2 this afternoon. Stick with it and complete the workout anyway you can and you'll continue to make progress.
Good luck and work hard!
Jamie out.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
Dan Freda

Profile:
My second week, feels great. Starting to know my body more and more. Guting out the wods with scaling and pushing myself every once in a while. Looking forward to seeing workouts in the future to which I can reference to see how far I have really come...
Old 08-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
That is SO AWESOME!

Corrine - try not to worry too much about speedy weight loss. Since your just starting you will probably lose a lot right away but more than 2 lbs a week is considered less than optimal cause you start losing muscle along with fat. Besides, research seems to indicate that slowly losing the weight correlates with keeping it off later or for the rest of your life. In the first one to three weeks of starting an exercise plan and diet, you may lose more because of extra water weight and such so don't stress over it too much but don't worry if it slows down.

It will come off!
Old 08-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
David Birozy

Profile:
Fantastic Corinne, congrats!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #7
Rick Burgess

Profile:
Great job, Corinne! I second Beth's comment regarding weight. Don't worry about pounds -- as you lose fat you will be gaining muscle, and the scale won't be able to tell the difference. Concentrate instead on eating well and doing the exercise work. If you want to measure progress, use body measurements (if you dare!), not just total weight. If you stick with it, you'll find yourself getting leaner and slimmer, no matter what the scale reads.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:53 AM   #8
Michael Keller

Profile:
Great job Corinne! You are making great progress. Slow and steady wins the day, so keep it up. Beth offers excellent advise about the weight loss. It will come, so be patient.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #9
Ryan Abbott

Profile:
Nice work Corinne! I want to second what everyone said about the scale, that thing can never tell you how good you feel and when it comes down to it that is what counts.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:37 PM   #10
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Speaking of scales...what is an accurate scale that doesn't cost a bazillion dollars?

We have a digital, which often seem 3lbs off (hop on, 214, try again, 211, then stays at 211) and an analog scale that has a mind of its own.

anyone?