CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 05-26-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Steve Melone

Profile:
Hey everyone, I'm new to CF and have found that I am in even worse physical condition than I thought. I have been lifting for quite a while but have found that CF is kicking my butt. Can anyone recommend a good supplement to help rebuild the muscle that CF is tearing up...?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Frank Menendez

Profile:
I would recommend 8 Tbsp of sleep and 2 tsp of Zone :-) I've actually strayed away from drinking whey protein and all the other supplements. I have found my body adjusting just fine to CF! Give it a try, trust me, i know it's hard to push away what we've grown to believe is required.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Welcome, Steve!

Do some searches on the Nutrition forum and you'll see that most CFers recommend the Zone Diet. Some even go Paleo. Everybody insists on lots of fish oils and sleep. Once you get the real food under control, do the WOD religiously and get enough sleep, you can decide from there what you need to supplement with.

I've tried a bunch of stuff and nothing really makes you feel better than eating right and sleeping. Sad but true. I think many of us are still looking for the magic pill and are willing to try some of the junk on the market. However, most of the veterans that have tried everything are still reporting that it's Zone Diet, plus fish oil & sleep.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
a pint of chocolate milk and a teaspoon of glutamine

A new study from Indiana University concludes that athletes who drink chocolate milk after an intense bout of exercise are able to workout longer and with more power during a second workout, compared to athletes who drink commercial sports beverages.

"Our study indicates that chocolate milk is a strong alternative to other commercial sports drinks in helping athletes recover from strenuous, energy-depleting exercise," said co-author Dr. Joel M. Stager, professor of kinesiology at IU. "Chocolate milk contains an optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio, which is critical for helping refuel tired muscles after strenuous exercise and can enable athletes to exercise at a high intensity during subsequent workouts."

The study: Nine cyclists biked until their muscles were depleted of energy, rested four hours and then biked again until exhaustion. They did this three separate times. During the rest period, the cyclists drank one of three beverages: low-fat chocolate milk, a traditional fluid replacement sports drink or a carbohydrate replacement sports drink.

The results: During the second round of exercise, the researchers found that the cyclists who drank chocolate milk during the rest period were able to bike nearly twice as long before reaching exhaustion than those who consumed the carbohydrate replacement drink and just as long as those who consumed the fluid replacement drink.

Why? The researchers theorize that the combination of carbohydrates and protein found in chocolate milk is what helped enhance the cyclists' performance and suggest that flavored milk may be an optimal beverage for refueling muscles after exercise. In addition to its ideal combination of carbohydrates and protein, flavored milk contains seven other essential nutrients that are important for an athlete's health, including bone-building calcium. No other sports drink contains the nutrient package found in flavored milk. Chocolate milk is also cheaper than commercial sports drinks.

The study findings were published in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

http://channels.netscape.com/sports/package.jsp?name=fte/chocolatemilk/chocolate milk&floc=wn-ns
Old 05-26-2006, 02:03 PM   #5

Profile:

steve - don's waste money on supplements until you're sure your diet is dialed in. the term supplement is not accidental. no product(s) will overcome inadequate nutrition and rest.

chocolate milk is a questionable PWO deal...
Old 05-27-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Greg, I'm with ya on chocolate milk. Studies may show good things, but there is a ton of sugar in it, which is probably not the kind of carbs we want to be ingesting after workouts.

As for supplements, eat Paleo/Zone, take fish oil. You probably won't need extra vitamins with all that you'll be taking in from the "meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar."