CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
Ross Heaton

Profile:
Front squat vs back squat

Hi, i'm looking to get some opinions on which exercise you guys think would be more beneficial to be focusing on for someone who wants to progress with O-lifts. I've currently just started Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program, And on my squat day i have been doing back squat, but for someone who is wanting to progress in O-lifting for CrossFit, surely the front squat would be more beneficial?

Please tell me what you guys think. Regards, Ross.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Michael E Tancini

Profile:
Re: Front squat vs back squat

Do both, High Bar back squat on 1 day then front squat on a different day. Both are important. I personally HBBS 2 times a week and Front Squat once a week.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
Jason Denny

Profile:

Low bar back squat. One of the best strength building lifts. That and dead-lifts. They will help you in the oly lifts.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I would say to follow the assistance work template that has you front squatting after deadlifting, and doing RDLs after squats. It's all outlined in the 2nd edition e-book....you can either do them for 5/3/1 percentages or on his 10-10-10 then 8-8-6 then 5-5-5 rep scheme for weeks 1, 2, and 3.

However, if getting better at Oly lifts is your goal then you should probably be doing a program that has you actually doing the lifts and accessory lifts 3-5 times per week. 5/3/1 only incorporates the Oly lifts for general S&C purposes which is why it only recommends them as warmups on your squat or deadlift days.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
Low bar back squat. One of the best strength building lifts. That and dead-lifts. They will help you in the oly lifts.
LBBS and deadlifts don't really transfer to the Olympic lifts.

He needs to be squatting high bar. Here is a good article: http://outlawnorth.com/blog/low-bar-...s-of-crossfit/ (WFS)

Other than that, do what Eric said.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Sean M Hutchinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denny View Post
I don't think i've seen one person improve their O-lifts in the 10 years I've been lifting by doing low bar back squats. Just sayin...
Old 01-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I would say to follow the assistance work template that has you front squatting after deadlifting, and doing RDLs after squats. It's all outlined in the 2nd edition e-book....you can either do them for 5/3/1 percentages or on his 10-10-10 then 8-8-6 then 5-5-5 rep scheme for weeks 1, 2, and 3.

However, if getting better at Oly lifts is your goal then you should probably be doing a program that has you actually doing the lifts and accessory lifts 3-5 times per week. 5/3/1 only incorporates the Oly lifts for general S&C purposes which is why it only recommends them as warmups on your squat or deadlift days.
Best advice thus far!!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Paul Victor French

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Miller View Post
Best advice thus far!!
2nd, and while low bar back squats are awesome for strength work an incredible amount of muscles, rock bottom HBBS and front would be the two main squatting styles I'd pick for oly lifters.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Victor French View Post
2nd, and while low bar back squats are awesome for strength work an incredible amount of muscles, rock bottom HBBS and front would be the two main squatting styles I'd pick for oly lifters.
Yep, I didn't clarify LBBS vs. HBBS in my initial post but that^^ would be the way to go. You'll get plenty of hamstring and posterior chain work if you're doing deadlifts as a main lift, RDLs as a major assistance lift, and stuff like reverse hypers or weighted hip extensions a secondary assistance lift.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

For my Olympic Lifting Training. My coaches have me doing Front Squats every day of the week after sessions. They don't want me doing Deadlifts or low-bar backsquats as they don't exactly translate well into Olympic Lifts and tend to reinforce the bad habits that I have with Olympic lifts (treating the pull like a deadlift). HBBS does have its place in programming as well. I usually do Front Squats Mon-Friday and Back Squats Tuesday evenings during my second sessions.
-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)