CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:
Putting diet together need HELP

25 yo
5'11"
165lbs. 14% BF

Squat: 205 1RM
Deadlift: 275 1RM
Press: 115 1RM

I play semi-pro soccer, trying out with clubs in Europe this summer, and am looking to increase my strength to bodyweight ratio over the next 3 months. I had a grade 2 MCL tear on June 21, no surgery. Rehabbed all summer and have been lifting and playing soccer since end of August. I am not looking to put on too much mass. I plan on eating 500 calories over maintenance.

My training schedule starting Nov. 14 will be as follows:

M: (AM) Squat 3x5, Press 3x5, (PM) Soccer practice ~90min
T: (AM) Deadlift 1x5, < 10min metcon (PM) Soccer practice ~90min
W: (AM) Squat 3x5, Bench 3x5 (PM) Soccer practice ~90min
Th: (AM) Power Clean 5x3, < 10min metcon (PM) Soccer practice ~90min
F: (AM) Squat 3x5, Press 3x5 (PM) Soccer practice ~90min

Throughout the day (M-F) I will also be greasing the groove with weighted pullups and ring dips. 5-10 sets of 5 reps throughout the day increasing weight by 5 pounds each week.

I wore my Timex heart rate monitor yesterday during my lifting session and soccer game and was told I burned ~700 cals during my lifting session (I was juggling the ball in between sets which may have kept my heart rate up a bit) and ~1500 cals during my game.

This means I need to eat at around 5000 cals a day. I was planning on supplementing Maltodextrin and obviously whey, and getting the rest of my cals from whole foods. Any help with how much of each macronutrient I should be eating? I was thinking 250-300g protein, 500 cho, and rest from fat. Any help would be much appreciated. I know diet is the most important thing so I'd like to make mine as good as possible.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Putting diet together need HELP

5000 calories? Just eat anything that will hold still. Even trying to track macros for that amount of food is potentially crazy making.

To play that much soccer at that level, I would especially suggest not attempting to limit carbs.

Katherine
Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
Michael Dries

Profile:

Why are you doing metcons AND playing 90minutes of soccer? doesn't 90 minutes of soccer provide enough conditioning for the sport itself?

5000 calories is probably a good place to start. Katherine is right (As usual) just eat whatever isn't nailed down. You need lots of carbs to support the soccer so I'd base the bulk of my meals around meat and rice/potatoes/fruit/veggies. If you don't have problems with bread go for it.

Don't worry about fat intake, that'll be covered by your meat intake. Whey and dextrose/maltodextrine (which ever is cheaper) should be limited to post workout and post soccer, while the rest of your meals should be real food.

As for training, I don't know if you'll really be able to make solid gains squatting 3 times a week and playing >7 hours of soccer a week. You might want to look more at Wendler's 5/3/1 if you simply want to get stronger over time. SS is for folks doing nothing but SS and wanting to get as strong and heavy as possible in the shortest time possible. 5/3/1 is meant more for slow strength gains over time, which would be more sustainable in your case.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:50 AM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Not sure I'd do 3x5 squats 3x a week if I wanted to sprint around a soccer field.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #5
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Good day Jakub. Are you sure that the 5,000 calorie figure from your Timex heart monitor is correct? This seems to me a rather imprecise way of measuring things. Have you weighed and measured all of the food you eat each day, verifying that you are indeed consuming 5,000 calories? Have you done this for several weeks, every day, all the while making sure your weight doesn't go up or down? This is one method for accurately determining your daily caloric needs.

There are a couple of other ways in which you can come up with a more precise number for your daily caloric needs. One is to have your Basal Metabolic Rate measured in a lab setting, and then multiply that by a factor related to your activity level, which in your case in pretty high.

The other possibility is to apply either the Harris-Benedict equation or the Katch-McArdle formula to derive your Basal Metabolic Rate. To use these equations, you will need to know things like bodyweight, age, height, and/or lean body mass.

In my Workout Log, PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey (WFS), I posted a highly detailed article about computing Basal Metabolic Rate using these forumlae, with examples. Please refer to the following post:While most of my informational posts are oriented towards helping people like myself who are very obese, the content of this post can readily be used by an athletic person such as yourself. In fact, the Katch-McArdle formula should work especially well for you, given your athleticism.

And yes, running these calculations does work. I have managed to fine tune my diet and exercise to the point where I can sustain about 2.5 pounds of fat loss each week while maintaining lean body mass. If your goal is to maintain bodyweight and lean body mass, then using the knowledge from these equations can help you the same way it helped me.