CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Is it possible to do that? There's spotters, or a power rack, but can you do it any other way?

Earlier today, I attempted 170#, and as I reached 1/3 of the way back up, it slowly began to fall again. So, I lowered it gently onto my chest, then tightening my core REALLY HARD, I rolled the bar down to near my waist. I then sat up with it in my lap, then stood and placed the bar on the bench. Definitely NOT the safest thing, though I had practiced it ahead of time with a lighter load to make sure it was possible. I assume when I get to higher weights, it won't be, and even now, it'd be best to avoid it.

So, other methods, anyone?
Old 07-12-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Tilt it to one side until it hits the ground.

That's the only coherent emergency "escape" I've seen or done. It's only worthwhile as a way to get out from under the bar; if you try to do it as part of your workout, every time you go to failure, you're going to be there all day and really off everyone around you. The bench needs a spotter, safety bars, or simply not going to failure.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
Tim McFarland

Profile:
Don't put collars on the bar; when you tilt it the weight slides off of the low side and you're free. Like Brandon says, though, a spotter is immeasurably preferable unless you're working out alone.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Trevor Thompson

Profile:

another one. MUCh better for your shoulders, i worked my way up to 5x230lbs in the FLOOR Press. Use it instead of the bench-press, and just use the bench press as a test. put in some bottom position bench presses to get that lower range every once in a while, and you will be just fine.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
Peter Dell'Orto

Profile:
I've done the roll-down-the-body. I've never had spotters handy, so it was the safest way to do it without skipping the collars. It sucks to do but yeah, tighten up your abs and get rolling and it works well enough.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #6
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I'd just get a power rack. One can be had for about $230 online (I got the powerline one, I believe from Jesup Gym Equipment).

It'll save your butt on many occasions, and you can do pullups, squats, and if you're really snazzy like I try to be, you can do dips on the very top of it.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Brandon & Tim
I work out at home, so there's no one to spot me. (My 115#, 14 year old, brother? I think not.) The problem with titling or dropping off weights is that I'm on a tile floor, and dropping weights on that would be a no-no.

Re: Trevor
How do you set the bar up for the floor press? I assume you have to have it racked on something at the start (a short something).
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
just use 2 $15 sawhorses you can get at home depot.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
Connie Morreale

Profile:
the weight room exercise with the highest incidence of death is the (unspotted, at home/ alone) bench press.
invest in the gear.

i know when i go to failure, it takes my spotter only one finger from each hand to assist me enough to re-rack. thats only 135 lbs, but i think if you test you brother out with a heavy weight that you are fresh on and "fake" failure and see if he would be able to bail you out. i only weigh 126 but have full confidence spotting up to 300 lbs on an EXPERIENCED lifter.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #10
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
as an addendum, please stop benching heavy weight on your own with no spotter. IMO benching is the only exercise that REQUIRES competent spotting or a safety device every single time without exception.

you can dump all manner of squats, DLs, snatches, clean, even presses, but you can't dump a bench.