CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-20-2007, 02:02 PM   #1
Pablo Vergara

Profile:
I’ve been reading up on pull ups and have a few questions

I have a real hard time with these...overall, I’m in good shape (I think :-) ) but when it comes to PUs I’ve always had a hard time doing them...
I can a few on my own but then I hit a wall...

what’s the best way to get stronger at it?

I can sometimes go to a gym that has that machine with the counter weight...but I can’t make every day...most times I only have access to a regular bar and a machine to do pull downs

if I only use the bar what can I do to help get better? are jumping PU a good way? should I do them with a spotter? I’ve done those before, where the spotter grabs you by the ankles and gives you a little push up to help make the movement...

or am I better off doing pull downs (with weight) until I get strong enough to do PUs??

thanks

Old 02-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #2

Profile:

don't bother with pull-downs--they simply don't transfer well to pull-ups. instead, try increasingly low-angle body rows if possible, assisted PUS as you describe, and some negatives. just go easy on the negatives--if you can't control your descent completely, they'll be counterproductive. jumping pull-ups are a little dicey--it's easy to get carried away and end up doing way more than you should be, producing some epic soreness, etc. You can use a jump to initiate the negatives, but keep the numbers very low and focus on controlling the descent all the way to full arm extension (maybe 3 per set max, 2-4 sets max).

body rows if you're not familiar with them:
http://www.performancemenu.com/resources/exercises/index.php?show=exercise&secti onID=3&exerciseID=105
Old 02-20-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
Pablo Vergara

Profile:
thanks Greg

I've done the low angle stuff... mainly the one where your feet are on a bar and your body is parallel to the ground then you pull yourself up.
(the second variation shown on the video)

one thing about that movement... since my arms are in a perpendicular position in reference to my chest does that activate the same muscle as a PU where your arms are in line with your chest??

Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 PM   #4

Profile:

being at an angle definitely is a little different than the purely vertical motion of the pull-up, but it's much more similar than a pull-down on a machine. if you can do full inverted rows, you should probably be on to pull-up negatives.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
Pablo Vergara

Profile:
hey Greg
I can do inverted ros fairly well.. I can get 10 to 15 no prob..
I'll try throwing some more negatives in the mix to see what that does..
one more question...you mentioned that pull downs (on the machine) were not a good substitute for PUs... what is the reason for that? seems to me that it's the identical movement...with the exception that your body is not as mobile I guess... just trying to understand why

thanks
Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Bill Russell

Profile:
Pablo,

Try body rows with your feet/heels on something waist high, so your upper body is hanging under the bar and your legs parallel to the ground. You can add a weighted vest as you progress.

Greg is right(as always) about skipping the pulldowns. I've been doing pulldowns all my life and never had a good pullup until I started CF and started following the sugestions posted here.

If your budget allows, get rings. You can hang them in lots of places. They allow people like me with old elbow injuries to lessen the strain on the joints. Also, very it's easy to adjust your body angle to change the amount of self-assistance.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Ron Fielder

Profile:
When I started doing PUs I could only get about 3 before I hit the wall.
I read an article that suggested that I do 30 PUs in as few sets as possible, and do this a few days a week. At first it was a miracle to occasionally get 5, then most sets were 2 at a time. After a few weeks my numbers went up to 10 before hitting the wall. Now I am over 15 reps, I am closing in on 20. I can't wait because it seems like such a long trip to get here. Learning to kip has helped some too. Incorporating them into the CFWU even if it is only a couple of reps will give you an excuse to practice everyday.
I also lost 20+ lbs and I believed that has helped.
In other words just do them and you will develop the ability.
Good luck
Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
John Milgram

Profile:
Don't forget Grease the Groove:

http://www.cbass.com/Pavel'sLadders.htm

(w/f safe, but link is funny, so copy and paste the whole address)
Old 02-23-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Pablo,
If you haven't learned how to kip, then that may help.
I could only do about 3 or 4 pull-ups when I started. Those were strict ones. Once I kipped I could do multiple sets of 5. Now I can do 9 at most in a set.
I'm 220 lbs if that helps or hinders.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Pablo Vergara

Profile:
I've never tried kips...are they easier than pull ups?? they look to be harder but I've never tried them (yet :-))