CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Keith Martin

Profile:
Affiliate Advice

I've been posting lately about opening a facility and asking questions around that and I would like an honest opinion from some affiliates about how I am approaching this.

I've been crossfitting for about 3 yrs. I joined my box about 4 months ago. I got to volunteer for the CF Regionals this year (that was way kewl) and I've been training others for about a year.

I am on schedule to get a commercial cert. for personal training in Dec. and I am looking to getting my L1 cert first quarter 2011. After which, I will affiliate. I do gobs of reading on training, fitness, nutrition,etc from a multitude of sources not only CF, although that is and will be my training method.

My question is how far in advance did you research before opening your box? I am looking at spaces now and trying to build clientele now. Am I a bit premature? Should I be more focused on something else?

I do most of my own programming and from the people I train, it's does them well. Just looking for as much advice from those who have done it so I can do and be the best I can be for my clients and Crossfit.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Affiliate Advice

"My question is how far in advance did you research before opening your box? I am looking at spaces now and trying to build clientele now. Am I a bit premature? Should I be more focused on something else?

I do most of my own programming and from the people I train, it's does them well. Just looking for as much advice from those who have done it so I can do and be the best I can be for my clients and Crossfit."

I spent about 15 months putting things together. Alot goes into it, and you will never have every answer you want before opening; Especially without any prior experience; all the prep in the world will not prepare you for being a business owner. I would visit other affiliates and asks questions, you may LOVE training and CrossFit but if you don't know how to run a business(the hard part) it will fail.
I don't think it's premature, and smart to begin trying to build a clientele now, even if they don't follow you, it'll give you some experience.

As for doing your own programming without any prior knowledge of CrossFit and/or other training methods....practice will help, and again looking at other affiliates that have good programming will help.
You may very well be doing a good job with it now, however, depending on the fitness levels of the people you train; ANY exercises whatsoever for some people will have a benefit, and they will tell you they like it, just because it gets them off their asses.

Oh, and don't spell "cool", "kewl"!

Last edited by Brian Strump; 09-01-2010 at 11:48 AM..
Old 09-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #3
Keith Martin

Profile:

Kool.
Thanx for the input Brian and very good point about any exercise for some would be beneficial. I seriously didn't consider that directly.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
Keith Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post

I spent about 15 months putting things together. Alot goes into it, and you will never have every answer you want before opening; Especially without any prior experience; all the prep in the world will not prepare you for being a business owner. I would visit other affiliates and asks questions, you may LOVE training and CrossFit but if you don't know how to run a business(the hard part) it will fail.
I don't think it's premature, and smart to begin trying to build a clientele now, even if they don't follow you, it'll give you some experience.
SO how did the business aspect hit you? Did you do anything like take any classes or courses? Did you have prior business experience?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Brian Strump

Profile:

I was/is a chiropractor for 7 years prior to opening the affiliate.
Book smarts, street smarts, and the School of Hard Knocks all helped me.

If you have family members that are successful at business, pick their brain. NOT someone that has a job working for someone that looks (car, house, clothes) successful. HUGE difference. Even if its in a totally different business. Regardless of the product, the internal aspects of running a business can be similar across the board.

Also, CALL OTHER AFFILIATES AND ASK IF YOU CAN VISIT THEM. Learn from their mistakes(If they admit any), and from their successes. I'd consider looking outside of your city, as some may look at you like competition and be less likely to help.