CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Ryan Ragona

Profile:
In need of tips to keep on weight...

A little background -- I'm 6'4", and I currently weigh about 175. I've been doing Crossfit at an affiliate and very much enjoying it, but I'd like to gain a bit of weight. To that end I've been eating like a goddamned horse, something like 4000+ calories a day of nearly paleo food, plus some milk for good measure. (Not GOMAD or anything, but probably a quart of whole milk a day or something.)

So, after about 4 weeks of working out every day, and eating a ton, I'd gone up to more like 185 -- and that was kinda neat, I'm tall enough that I still looked pretty darn skinny. Anyhow, I just got a nasty flu, and over the course of the last 4 days I haven't been able to continue stuffing myself, nor have I been working out. I'm back to 175. So, this leads me to believe that I hadn't really gained anything useful at all other than weight from a full stomach or something. Bah.

Anyhow. Should I be considering SS and GOMAD if I want to actually gain pounds/strength that won't disappear in less than a week? Are there other options I should be considering?

Thanks folks.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: In need of tips to keep on weight...

I do something similar to ss and gomad, and when I got a stomach virus I lost 14 lbs in less than three days. I'm still down 8-10 lbs 1.5 weeks later.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

After a week of flu, you're probably a bit dehydrated. Much of what you lost should come back once your digestion gets back to normal.

(And no, it isn't just weight from a full stomach. When your "normal" weight was 175, you still probably would have dropped 10 pounds from the flu. Everyone weighs more when properly hydrated.)

But generally speaking yes, you need to eat a LOT in order to gain any significant weight.

Katherine
Old 02-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
Will Cutler

Profile:

I have an affliate here in SC
I am not sure what the break down is of your calories. But how much FAT (good fat) are you eating. I have seen some of my members do Paleo and or Zone and lean out and performance drop some. I would say UP your Fat intake.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
Adam Acosta

Profile:

I also lost 10 pounds in three days when I caught a stomach flu. Best advice is not to get the flu.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cutler View Post
I have an affliate here in SC
I am not sure what the break down is of your calories. But how much FAT (good fat) are you eating. I have seen some of my members do Paleo and or Zone and lean out and performance drop some. I would say UP your Fat intake.
I'm not really sure, but I'm not strict Paleo by any stretch of the imagination -- I drink a ton of milk, and eat cheeses and yogurt and such.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
Robert Callahan

Profile:

IF:

Goal = gain weight + gain strength

Solution = Lift Heavy + Eat More

In case of confusion "Eat More" means eat more food today than you did yesterday. Eat more at this meal than the last. If this is your mentality to every meal you should get sufficient caloric intake.

The eating is the hard part because it is easiest to cheat. When you lift you know exactly how much you lifted and how many reps, which makes it hard to be a p*ssy. Typically people don't measure their caloric intake though, so it is easy to eat until your full and then say, "well I just ate a ton! that should be good" when all you just ate was a measly 500 kcal meal. That means you were just a p*ssy and didn't put in the work eating enough to get big.

If you put the work into eating you will see results, if you don't see results you are not putting the work in.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

I was seeing good results and eating a lot (at least 4000 calories/day), I'm just disappointed that a single flu at this point appears to have completely erased any weight I previously gained. Mostly it makes me think I didn't actually gain anything, am I mistaken?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ragona View Post
I was seeing good results and eating a lot (at least 4000 calories/day), I'm just disappointed that a single flu at this point appears to have completely erased any weight I previously gained. Mostly it makes me think I didn't actually gain anything, am I mistaken?
You're mistaken. What you lost was mostly water, not muscle.

On the other hand, flu is a serious illness and a major shock to your system. Don't be surprised if you're weak as a kitten for a little while, and take it easy as you ramp back up.

Katherine
Old 02-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
Ryan Ragona

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You're mistaken. What you lost was mostly water, not muscle.

On the other hand, flu is a serious illness and a major shock to your system. Don't be surprised if you're weak as a kitten for a little while, and take it easy as you ramp back up.

Katherine
Alrighty, thanks Katherine.