CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Dave Rubin

Profile:
Starting Strength Programs

Are any affiliates running specific Starting Strength or Olympic Weightlifting programs, outside of an unlimited WOD membership. Maybe some of the participants are not even CrossFit members.

We are looking at starting something like this and would like to see if there are any ideas that are working/not working.

thanks!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #2
Jeremy S Barnett

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Programs

We offer powerlifting and CrossFit training. We have 4 different levels of memberships. You can go to www.cf-tb.com W/F/S and click on classes and prices to view them. We've set up our training similar to CrossFit FootBall.

My Powerlifting coach has structered his powerlifting program as follows:

Mon.: Squats

Tues.: Accessory Exercises GPP

Wed.: Bench

Thrs.: OFF REST DAY!

Fri.: Deadlift

Sat.: Accessory Exercises GPP

Sun.: OFF REST DAY!

I have structured our CrossFit programs to fit his schedule of training.
Mon.: Squat variations as our "Core Strength Traininig". Then a W.O.D.

Tues.: Core Training, cardiovascular conditioning type W.O.D.

Wed.: Pressing variations as our "Core Strength Training". Then a W.O.D.

Thursday: OFF REST DAY!

Fri.: Deadlift, Olympic Lifting or Kettlebell variations as our "Core Strength Training". Then a W.O.D.

Sat.: Boot Camp

Sun.: OFF REST DAY!

With this type of schedule our members can utilize both CrossFit and Powerlifting. Some of our clients compete in powerlifting meets but also love doing CrossFit. In the off season of their competitions they train with CrossFit. 6-12 weeks prior to their competitions they get more focused on the powerlifting only. Once the competiton is over they come back to CrossFit.

If we have new members that need more attention and aren't ready for the CrossFit classes my powerlifting coach will take them and do more skill/strength development with them until they are ready for the classes.

My powerlifting coach also works with certain individuals that may have injuries and need to take it a little slower until they heal and are ready to return to CrossFit classes.

This has worked very well for our athletes. They choose one of our payment plans and can utilize both styles of training. My Powerlifting coach is paid a salary and my CrossFit coach is paid on commissions. So far everything works very well and the members love the feedom to move back and forth between programs at no additional cost.

Hope this helps a little. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help,
Jeremy

Last edited by Jeremy S Barnett; 09-08-2009 at 11:47 AM..
Old 09-10-2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Programs

We're on the verge of rolling out our seperate O-lifting program. From and integrity standpoint, I do not want to offer a specific SS class without first going through Rips' Barbell cert. I think it would validate the program more.