CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Matt Bogdanowicz

Profile:
Seal Fitness Challenge L.a.

http://www.sealfitnesschallenge.com/

Looks like I am heading down to compete. Frustrated that I can't find any info on exactly how they arrived at the scores. Also looks like a few folks in the photos section may get away with a rep or two as the instructors are just walking between them trying to make sure everyone is performing the discipline correctly. On the home page click on see photos from last event.
Photo 113 shows scores but I am having trouble enlarging it to see the actual calculation if any.

I competed years back in a Seal contest. Much tougher and I did manage to win it. Beach runs, kayak, full squat thrusts, pushups, sit ups obstacle course, pull ups, another beach run and a suicidal ocean swim in heavy breakers.

This one is quite tame, compared to that one. I should have the highest pull up total no doubt, and my run time will be among the top three, unfortunately my swim time will suffer, but situps and pushups 100+. If I had the scoring procedure I can at least attempt to figure out my potential score.

If anyone knows please share.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Spencer Friedman

Profile:
Re: Seal Fitness Challenge L.a.

Are the events done consecutively? For example, Swim, 2 min rest,Sit ups, 2 minute rest, push ups, 2 min rest, run. Or is it more like : everybody does swim, then when everybody is done, they do the sit ups etc...
Old 01-29-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
Matt Bogdanowicz

Profile:

The latter. There are groups that are assigned times. So each group goes through together. When everyone is finished they move on to the next discipline.

I still can't figure out how they score it. obviously to be fair you have to distribute the points evenly. A pull up in theory should be at least 4 times harder for the average person at least. At a certain point if you are capable of 50 fairly strict pull ups then they may only be worth 3 times a push up, but nto to many folks fall into that category. Situps and pushups are about equal.
How do you compare a 500yd swim to a 1.5 mile run? It also depends on whether you run on a track or on the grass.

I hate not knowing how this thing is scored but I am working on it.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
Andy Gardner

Profile:

The SEAL fitness challenge scoring is really irrelevant.

The minimums to get the competitive score level are
swim 500m: under 10 min. then ten min break, (its probably longer because teams of twenty take longer to move from event to event)
Push-ups:80 minimum two min. break,
sit-ups:80 minimum, two minute break.
pull-ups:11 minimum, 10 min break (usually)
then 1.5 mile run under 10 minutes.

any other questions post and I'll answer as i can. I Don't have the magic formula for the final multiple tho.

The spirit of the event is not that competitive. The crowd is mostly comprised of 18-26 year olds and some Jr. Higher's, then some die hard seniors. The instructor don't take it to serious, just keep it light and are there to keep the evolutions going forward
Old 08-25-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Neil Khant

Profile:

I am going to do the Seal challenge here in Chicago.

Questions for anyone that knows how it all works.

My 500 meter swim is somewhere around 14 minutes and some change, but under 15.

My run is close to the 12:30 pace for the 1.5 miles. Could probably cut some time if needed.

I can do the other events Pull ups, sit ups, and push ups close to the competitive range.

Here is my Question:

With a time killer like 15 minutes in the swim, is it possible to get the competitive level award?

Since all the other event, I should be close to the competitive range, where would this put me?

Just not sure how these are scored. Of course I would like to have the blue shirt, I think I will be getting the second level. And even to qualify for that will I need to be getting really high scores on the other events to even get that?

Does anyone know?