CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Beginner Gymnastics Program?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a generally respected beginner gymnastics program. I've realized that I want to focus on this, but have no idea where I could find a tried and true program. I searched on here, but couldn't find any significant results. I know there are plenty of gymnasts on here so I'll put my trust in your hands
Old 08-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Re: Beginner Gymnastics Program?

Pick some of the basic skills that are part of the CF curriculum. Thoroughly read the various gymnastics articles in the CF Journal. Attend a CF Gymnastics cert. Find a local gym with an adult program. A "tried and true program" only exists in facilities training individuals for specific goals (USAG competition, tricking, event specilization, etc). What are you wanting to accomplish?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #3
Steven Anderson

Profile:

Ah, Roger forgot to mention his great website: www.drillsandskills.com (w/f/s). Maybe not so beginnerish (is that a word?) but definitley great information, exercises and progressions.

Also, check out www.gymnasticbodies.com (w/f/s). That one is run by Coach Sommer who again, is a wealth of information. Supposedly, he's gotta book coming out, but...we'll see.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Hi Brent- I'll second the adult class. I take one-it's great conditioning and lots of fun.
We're learning things like handsprings, front tucks, basic skills on the parallel bars, uneven bars, some trampoline, rings, beam.... good stuff and a great workout.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Brent, are you looking for a program to follow as in skill progression? Or a gymnastics program that will follow a set of progressions when teaching students in their class?

I see that you're in Davis. I enjoy going to Davis Diamonds but they're adult class is just an open gym. I do know that Aerials in Vacaville has an adult class ( on Tuesday nights, I think ) but I've never attended to see if they run it progressively or if it's just another open gym for adults. Pozsar's I hear in Sacramento, does have a coach that more actively coaches the students in there ( at least putting them through a WU ). I've yet to check out to see if they run the class progressively. There is one down in Antioch that goes through progression, but it's only 1hr/week through trampoline and tumbling; but it's very good.

If you can make it out to Marin once in a blue moon or more than occasionally you'll find an extremely progressive environment that will kick your butt.

Check out the CF journals, Coach Sommer's gymnasticbodies ( general strength and basic progressions ), and Drillsandskills.com for the basics. A CF gymnastics cert might be in order, but you're only 70 minutes from Marin in a drive, longer through train and bus. If you don't drive, take the train to Richmond, 40/42 GoldenGateBus to SanRafael and a bus from there.

If you're looking for some programming for progressions, check out these two threads.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...nastics&page=3

Middle of the page
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=27238&page=3

If you specified whether you had more of a true gymnastics progression interest or a CrossFit gymnastics progression list, I could write something down for you pretty quick if you can't figure out what to do after going through the resources. Hell, maybe I'll just do it under Exercises anyways. Looking at the lists, I wrote above, they are lacking IMO in writing down the progressions. I thought I posted to another thread with a better progression list, but I can't find it right now. I probably spealed a bit about one on gymnasticbodies, but nothing anymore than the above threads.

Davis Diamonds will start their saturday classes back when school gets back in and I will go once I get a car again. I've thought about the weeknight ones, but I typically workout at home those nights though I've thought about checking out Pozsar's. I prefer drop in rates to a mandatory signup though and Pozsar's is closer than Davis Diamonds.

Which just reminded me there is a fairly progressive adult's class in West Sacramento at InternationalGymnasticsCenter. However, their focus is mainly on sports acro and handbalancing and not the traditional events. I think it's only for an hour as well on M and W, maybe Fri.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
Brent Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Hi Brent- I'll second the adult class. I take one-it's great conditioning and lots of fun.
We're learning things like handsprings, front tucks, basic skills on the parallel bars, uneven bars, some trampoline, rings, beam.... good stuff and a great workout.
These are some of the things that I would like to learn. I'm not necessarily looking to be proficient in any of the actual events, but I'd rather be interested in the skills that make those events possible (i.e. flexibility, strength, body knowledge, agility, etc). However, if the events were stressed, I would work on those. I'm pretty much up for anything.

Also, thanks Blair for all that info. I'm sure I'll utilize at least some of it.