CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
Clarence Bass posted the following article on his excellent website http://www.cbass.com/Sprintendurance.htm

Amongst other things the article compares two extremely successfully interval protocols: 1) Tabata training, and 2)7 x 30 Second Sprints followed by 4 minutes of rest. Do 4-6 sprints 3 times a week.

Here is something interesting noted in the article
On the other hand, the one or two days rest between workouts probably gave the current study a leg up on the original Tabata protocol. The researchers believed that the rest days would be an important advantage. “The importance of rest days between sprint training sessions was emphasized in a recent study that showed that peak and mean power elicited were unchanged after 14 consecutive days of sprint training; however, when subjects performed the same number of training sessions over 6 weeks, with 1-2 days of rest between training sessions, power output improved significantly,” they wrote in the study report. “Although numerous mechanisms could potentially be involved, the importance of rest days between training sessions may be related in part to the fact that strenuous exercise leads to inactivation of cation pumps, and it has been speculated that up to several days may be required for normalization of sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ pump function.” Simply put, it takes a day or two for muscles to recharge after very intense exercise.

So, it’s possible that Dr. Tabata and his colleagues could have achieved even better results by allowing their athletes a day or two to recover between workouts.

Generally, short hard intervals with long rest periods are recommended to improve anaerobic capacity; and repetitions with short rest periods are suggested to overload the aerobic system. The Tabata research and the current study suggest that intensity--not volume--is the key to success.

I am curious as to how people find this study can best be implemented with crossfit
Old 04-26-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
Cole Hanley

Profile:
It's a little before 0600 on a rest day morning and I was thinking of heading down to the basement for a quick Tabata on my bike. I take this as a reminder that the rest days are important and need to be thought of as a part of the training plan. It's said that the body gets stronger during the recovery, not during the workout, and here's data to back that up. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Interval speed training has been one of the primary forms of exercises that have allowed me to improve my overall running endurance. This is something that I use to do long before the days of CrossFit. Now however, I also incorporate box jumps, thrusters and even db lunges 5 times around the distance of an indoor track into my routine and that also, I felt, has been a key ingredient into my overall running performance because of the high intense/high cardio burn that it gives. Usually I only need a minimum of 2 days of rest between the sprint training and that really helps to keep my legs super charged, IMO.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #4
Mike Quon

Profile:
I've tried to do hard intervals on consecutive days but my legs give out too fast.