CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-22-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Austin Peck

Profile:
Tea and hydration

I just moved into the dorms for college this week and I started drinking the tea at the dining commons (I'll usually take a cup of it home and put a little of it in each cup of water just to have some flavor) and I have noticed after drinking it my throat feels kind of dry, and I feel more thirsty. Is this part of the diuretic effects of the tea? And if so, should I stop drinking it?

I started drinking it because of the antioxidants...so someone knows what types of teas have the highest antioxidant count and lowest negative impact on hydration that would be sweet.

It is just weird because I see so many places talking about tea as a form of hydration (especially as a replacement for coffee), but I am fairly certain there are diuretic properties of tea as well...
Old 01-22-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
Jaime Steele

Profile:
Re: Tea and hydration

Normal black tea contains caffeine which will dehydrate you.

My favorites is the South Africa Rooibos (means red bush) tea. It is naturally caffeine-free and is a good antioxidant. You can drink with milk or without and is great with lemon and honey.

Green tea is also really good but does contain caffeine - about half to one third of that in black tea.

White tea again is rich in antioxidants and contains a little less caffeine than green tea.

I got some Japanese tea called Matcha - basically it is powdered green tea. They say that most of the goodness in a cup of tea is removed when you take the tea bag out so for Matcha they powder the leaves and you just stir it into the hot water. It is supposed to have a much higher level of antioxidants than green. It doesn't taste the best tho.

Try a few out and see how you get on.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:

I'd say it's more because of the slight bitterness than any caffeine problem. I get that with black coffee...I need a water chaser.

I drink black tea with skim milk - I find it refreshing. The milk takes the bitterness away. I have a couple of giant mugs before I leave for work and a couple when I come home.

At work I only drink green tea (they only have semi-skimmed milk, and I don't like the taste and smell of that, or full fat for that matter - and there's no way I can have black tea without milk).
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Austin,
Your reaction is likely from the tannins in black tea (and less so in green, even less in white). All of those teas--black, green, white--are "true" tea, from Camellia sinensis.

WFS Tannins get that name as they have astringent properties and are used for tanning leather. A mild astringent/"tanning" reaction in your mouth would likely make you feel thirsty/dry. Almond skins are also astringent, that's why it can be hard to eat many without some sort of drink!

Try herbal teas of any sort and see if you get the same reaction. My posts on the subject have always suggested herbal teas--the only time I drink black tea is at a restaurant where I can't get herbal tea.

Hope that fixes the issue.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
Dave Bond

Profile:

If you want to avoid caffeine, herbal tea would certainly be a good option. However, moderate intake of caffeinated beverages probably isn't a big deal--especially if you are young and healthy. Here is a link to an article discussing the impact of caffeine on hydration (w/f/s): http://advance.uconn.edu/2002/020722/02072207.htm

Personally, I would worry more about adding a lot of refined sugar to your diet (by sweetening tea with excessive table sugar or honey) than I would about moderate caffeine intake. Also, I would examine your motivation for drinking caffeinated tea: do you just enjoy beverages that happen to be caffeinated, or are you compensating for being chronically short on sleep?
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

The previous posters are right. Green tea is best. I drink it by the potful.

And Matcha is the best of the green teas. It's the tea used in the Japanase tea ceremony. But it's too expensive for everyday use.

My normal green tea is Alwazah (Swan Brand) Natural Green Tea fom Sri Lanka (Ceylon). It costs just $5.00 for a tin that lasts weeks. You put the tea leaves in a stainless steel tea ball. The you put the tea ball in a ceramic pot to steep for a few minutes.

You have to remember to remove the tea ball. But the tea ball can be re-used (even a few hours later) to make for a second pot.

I generally drink four 8 ounce cups of tea a day. Remember, the correct number of calories for drinks is usually ... zero. Water and green tea both fill the bill.

P.S. Adding milk to tea is dubious British habit, best avoided. (Not that I'm judgmental, or anything!)

Last edited by Daniel Freedman; 01-23-2008 at 02:38 PM..
Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
P.S. Adding milk to tea is dubious British habit, best avoided.
Even as an imported fellow from across the globe, I take umbrage to that! Good strong black tea is nicely ameliorated by milk. Wouldn't have it any other way. (Green tea with milk, of course, would be weird and off-putting).

Instead, I will merely feel pity for your poor compressed tea leaves in their cramping metal ball, whilst mine float and grow gracefully in their spacious and roomy Chatsford-filter teapot.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #8
Austin Peck

Profile:

Ha ha...regardless of whether milk in tea is British insanity I am cutting back on dairy, so (while I do think cream makes strong tea taste better) no milk for the time being. Trying out paleo...

And I don't sweeten it with anything (which is why I usually end up watering it down so its more like slightly flavored water), so the sugar isnt a problem.

Just making sure that it isnt leaving me dehydrated to the point I would be better off without it.

Thanks for all the posts.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Austin Peck

Profile:

And daniel, is that you in your picture?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Yes, that's me in the pic.