CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-03-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
Dan

Profile:  
Hey all you MMA/law enforcement/military guys, can you recommend any good close combat/street fighting books or videos like Rex Applegate's Kill or Be Killed.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:06 PM   #2
William A. Zortman

Profile:  
Dan,
I recommend the Close Quarter Combat tape and book. CQC is designed for the military, but a lot of the knife and gun disarmament and retention techniques can be used elsewhere. I helped write the book and have taught the course to various military and police. You can buy it at http://www.warriorschool.com/products/index.htm
William
Old 09-04-2003, 04:37 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I haven't done martial arts in a while, but www.e-budo.com is a pretty good site. That might be a better place to post the question. As far as martial arts styles, I've always felt opinions on that belong with politics and religion.
Old 09-05-2003, 07:30 AM   #4
Emil Berengut

Profile:
admittedly i am little bias, but i would recommend the video set from kravmaga.com and for parity fight2survive.com. jim wagner puts out good realistic videos and instruction as well. rich dimitri in canada has be recommended to me as well. i would also encourage you to find a school that will train you as well, or at least a group of training partners with whom you can practice.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:38 PM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Dan,

If your interested in gun and/or knife disarm techniques, check out Bob Taylor and Randy Wanners' original gun and knife disarm video available from TRS. For fighting with a knife, read PUT ’EM DOWN, TAKE ’EM OUT! - Knife Fighting Techniques from Folsom Prison by Don Pentecost. One of my best instructors got to the final round of an underground knife-fighting tournament in Chicago after only a couple months of training with this system (no, they didn't use actual knives - they taped up razor blades so only a 1/8" was showing - not enough to permanently maul someone, but enough so that there'd be no argument if someone 'scored' or not).

-Ryan
Old 09-05-2003, 04:12 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

My only comment (almost totally uninformed) is that anyone proposing to practice knife training (and counter-moves) should practice initially using a big, broad-tip, RED, felt pen as the "knife".

BTW . . . make sure the ink is washable.

A couple of sessions of this kind of training was an amazing experience for me (back when I was training in jiu-jitsu, many years ago). We ended red from head to toe (well, sensei didn't). The rest of us would have died in 10 minutes.

Very, very, sobering.

Dave
Old 09-06-2003, 12:30 PM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Ryan and David,

Doing or seeing something like you described certainly makes me think about how easily this wonderful life can end. Quite a wakeup call.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:00 PM   #8
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Dan,
As I am sure you realize, your options are infinite when it comes to an ultimately best style, technique, or system to train under. The only information I will offer is very generalized, and I give it to everyone. Step back and look at yourself objectively, evaluate your size, weight, speed, agility, and level of aggression. Then look for a system that allows you to utilize your strengths. Notice I do not mention endurance, streetfights and self defense situations are like lightening, here and gone in a flash. If you are not willing to dedicate time to training in a Combative Style, then don't. A 'little' training confuses your fight or flight reflex.
Semper Fi
Frank