CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-12-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Chronicling an event:

Last Sunday night I fell down a flight of stairs, tumbling, twisting, wrenching, and crashing into a wall. The ***** of it was that I had my 6mo daughter in my arms (she's fine). I was upstairs ready to hand her over for a bath when I unwrapped her diaper to a messy surprise. Not having and wipeys upstairs, I carried her down to clean her off.

Halfway down, my foot slipped out from under me and I covered her like a good fullback when you are punching through a goalline stand. Never thought that would ever come in handy again, but I put the arms of life around her, and ate **** the rest of the way down. She found it interesting, and smiled after a moment's confusion as to why she had just been turned up and over twice.

Fortunately for the wall, I smashed into a stud, and didn't break through. I had just enough time to get up, wipe her off, go upstairs, hand her off, lay down in bed, and have my back sieze up mercilessly.

For rehab, I attached a TENS stimulator (controlled pinpoint electrocution) to my lower back for the next 36 hours straight, absolutely contrtary to every warning in the manual. Coupled with an endless supply of Nachos and Cocoa Puffs from my two older daughters, I was able to get back in the water for the experiments I am assisting on, and do two dives. I couldn't pull on my wetsuit, so I skinned it in 57F waters at 42 feet for 51 minutes between the two dives (mighty cold).

Now I have about 85% mobility, and am back on pullups, an will try a light jog tomorrow morning. I can not be more pleased that I purchased that TENS machine. Perhaps someone else with a blown back may benefit from this self-experimentation. I took no pain medication, I'm just like that.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 PM   #2
David Birozy

Profile:
Scary!! Glad to hear your daughter came out okay, that could have been nasty.

I bid on a TENS unit on e-Bay but didn't win it. I never really went back to try again. I've had them used on me with just about every surgery, and they seem to work pretty good.

Did you use ice on top of it?
Old 08-13-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
Electrical currents applied to the human body are a blessing :-)

If you're in a maverick mood sometime, try Russian Stim on your abs. We had fun with that one in Physiological Therapeutics class. It was a perfect L-sit before I knew what an L-sit was.

On a serious note, as a father of three little ones, thank God your daughter is OK.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Thanks for that guys. I did not ice, even though I would normally recommend the RICE (rest, ice, compress, elevate) method for most things.

I like to think of it as controlled electrocution. I had it up to 80% of max current. It burned a bit, but today its like it never happened. Didn't run today, went to Costco.