CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-31-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
James Taft

Profile:

Just wanted to share a little success with everyone. Hopefully, this will help some of you out there who are suffering from back problems and are running out of places to turn.

I hurt my mid-back about 8 months ago practicing BJJ. I woke up the next day and was extremely sore. I figured it would go away so I took a couple of weeks off and stretched, did light lifting (SLDL with Bar). This helped somewhat to loosen up my back and allow me to be pretty much functional in every way. The only problem was that I had constant pain when I inhaled deeply and if I let a guy side mount me (BJJ position) I would be in excruciating pain. I had to focus all of my strength just to keep my core tight so that the pain would be manageable. This would sap all of my energy as you can imagine.

So I get back from a 5 month trip to Ft. Benning, GA! and figure it is finally time to get this thing fixed. I go to the DOC and they give me corticol steroid shots, NSAIDS, heat packs, etc....I take 2 months off from all heavy lifting, BJJ, etc....Doesn't work. I get an X-Ray (since the pain seemed to be radiating out to my lower left ribs, I figured that I may have cracked, dislocated a rib). X-Rays come back perfect. DOC sets me up for an MRI. MRI comes back normal. So I get a follow up and ask the DOC what's next. I suggest a chiropractic visit (never been to one). and she says sure. The next day I come in and the Chiro does a lengthy eval (he was an old wrestler) and he talks about the old days. Anyway, he does a couple quick pushes and twists and I sit up and can breathe normally without pain for the first time in 8 months. I still have some soreness (which he said would be normal). I have a few more follow up adjustments, but already I am feeling so upbeat.

I know this was a long story, but I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone out there is skeptical of chiro (like I was) and is stuck for a solution to their pain. Give it a shot. It may be what you need to get back in the game.

I would caution you to get the X-rays and/or MRI prior to going to a chiro. Also, I have heard that some civilian chiropractors will try to scam you with a several visit, x-ray, etc. type set-up prior to doing any work on you. Be weary of that. All in all I think there is something to this.

Best Wishes,
Jim
Old 07-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #2
David Birozy

Profile:
Glad to see you've had good results! I've been seeing a DC for a long time for all kinds of tweaks. I'm kind of bias though, as my dad and step-mom are DC's. One thought though, an x-ray at your first visit probably isn't a scam - it's actually pretty common, especially after an injury! Before somebody starts twisting your neck and back and pushing vertebra around, it may be a good idea to make sure you don't have a fracture, slipped disk, etc. With the amount of litigation in our society now, much of it is CYA for the chiro too!
Old 07-31-2005, 07:43 PM   #3
James Taft

Profile:

Dave,

I agree. My medical coverage/procedures are a little different in the military, so I got the X-ray & MRI throught the DOC and the chiro after the results came back. If you don't have any of those done prior then I guess getting an X-ray from your Chiropractor would be cool.

Jim
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Glad to hear of your experience as I am anticipating a visit for my lower back. It's been sore for the better part of a year (after doing a Diane).

Will H would love to see this thread.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
I see this thread and I do love it!

Jim that's a great story. I hurt my back when I was 19. It wasn't BJJ it was DFW (Drunken Fraternity Wrestling). I lost, big time. I suffered for two years with LBP. I also happen to have several MDs in my family so going to a Chiro was unthinkable. Pain is the ultimate motivator (and my girlfriend/future wife was sick of my complaining) and I ended up on the DC table. Three months later...pain free. One year later, enrolled in Chiro school.

One point I'd like to make is that X-rays are often necessary prior to manipulative therapy. A "four day report-of-findings/scare you with big words/charge your ins. co. buttload of jack" is not. After a thorough exam and necessary diagnostics I know of at least a couple of things I can do to help. Why in the world would I withhold that from the person that needs the treatment? That's just mean.

William "advocate of DL's" Hunter, DC
Old 08-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Sorry but chiropractic fixes your back the same way I "fix" my VCR by hitting it on the side when it won't rewind.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Sean,

Difference is a DC knows just where to hit whereas you're swinging blind. :proud:

My husband and I have both had success with chiros. Granted there are a few wackos out there but just as many good ones.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
Billy Lusk

Profile:  
Just make sure that your Chiro can overhead-squat their body weight for reps. :biggrin:
Old 08-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I saw an excellent book on lower back pain at a used book store. Wish I'd have bought it in hindsight. It didn't prescribe any therapies, it was just the results of a poll some guy did on people with LBP, what worked, what didn't, which docs were helpful, which weren't. He further subdivided it into long term help, short term help, and other stuff.

Long and short of it was, a Physiatrist (MD trained in therapy) was ranked #1 most helpful. PTs were #2. Chiros were in upper ranks. MDs, DOs, and Orthopods were way down list.

Chiros were ranked higher for short term relief, not so high for long term.

Stretching and strengthening were cornerstones of effective therapy. Inversion boots weren't. Correlation of LBP and tight hams was approaching 95%.

Wish I'd bought the book.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
James Taft

Profile:

Sean,

Sorry you feel that way about chiro, but I thought it worked pretty good for a first time visit. I am going back tomorrow for round two. Hopefuly, I can get further relief. I am still feeling some tightness. Not too concerned about it since the Chiro told me it would take several session to "re-train" my spine to sit back properly. Mike. I agree that strengthening and stretching are cornerstone to back longevity. I also did some empirical observation on my own stretching routines and realized that I do an awful lot of forward (low back stretching) including legs over the head (stacked position) and that I do very little cobra/upward facing dog stretching. Going back to the age old phrase "balance is key" I started to stretch into bridge type positions to stretch my hip and abs and I found that this actually helped my spine. Don't know why, but maybe it helped coax my spine into its proper position as well. I will let you all know how tomorrow's session goes. I guess the bottom line is that there is no magic pill for recovery. It is an area of your "training" that you have to make part of your daily routine. I am definitely guilty of neglecting a good warm-up and/or cool down due to time constraints, work, family obligations. I guess it is starting to catch up with me. I hope this discussion is helpful for everyone. That was the intent of this discussion