CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
Rich Fonseca

Profile:
I have been putting together my own moveable gym consisting of, climbing rope, jump rope, agility ladder, rings, and a weighted backpack. Do most of you guys buy your own stuff? use the gym? or take it to the park?
Old 06-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Rich - I doubt there is a "most" answer to your question. You have folks use rocks, picnic benches and playground bars to people who spare no expense to buy every conceiveable exercise device possible. Some train in their own well stocked gyms, some carry their stuff around, some go to commercial or garage gyms and some make due with what they can find and turn into exercise equipment. It's a very wide ranging state of affairs but for the record I workout in my garage with just about everything there is, except BOSU's. I don't have any of those yet.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Kevin McGuinness

Profile:
I just started CF and I use all my own equipment. And by that I mean the $120 Olympic weight set from sears and my old swingset for pullups.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:13 AM   #4
Brian De Mio

Profile:
I'm actually gearing up my garage now. Made my pullup bar, parallette's, and wall ball. Bought a cheap sturdy bench with weights but I'm going to progress to the rubber weights when I begin the clean, jerk, snatch etc. Trying to figure out a good way to set up a rope climb. Going to buy some rings. Then the high dollar item is going to be the concept II rower.
For running I have all distances marked out throughout my neighborhood up to 1.5 miles. (Dirt trails would be nice but oh well)
Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #5
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I have a small gym in the trunk of my car, it is:
Rings, parallettes, 55# dumbbell, jump rope, assistance bands, and wall ball. Oh yea, don't forget the spare tire!
Old 06-27-2007, 10:48 AM   #6
Brian Yoak

Profile:
Like Ben, I carry my equipment in the car. I have parallettes, KB, Med ball, PVC, O-Bars, DB's.
Plus, I use the uneven bars for pull-ups at the gym I train at.
If you don't have money to purchase equipment. Get what you can, when you can get it. In addition, be creative and use your imagination.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Moving to . . . . (wait for it) . . . Equipment!!!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Perfectly good as a "Starting" question for a first post, but it will be easier to find later if we put it here.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
Kristin Hoppe

Profile:
David, you're my favorite moderator on the entire internets. :biggrinthumb:

:focus:

I have bumpers at home, but otherwise I work out at the local [strike]24 Hour[/strike] Oz Fitness. They have the swimming pool, C2, treadmill, and graviton.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Simon Bowley

Profile:
Hi!

I started recently, I have KB 1 pood, adjustable DBs (not used that much), rings, high stepper (want to make/get plyo box) C2 rower and home-made medicine ball using the basketball/sand technique. Great set up - just need Oly set and i'm really pleased. I also put my road bike on a turbo-trainer for winter sessions
Old 06-29-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
Travis Hall

Profile:

I work out at home. I have one of those pullup/dip stations, rings, abs paralettes, an alice pack I fill with weight, and an old army belt and climbing rope rig used for really heavy weighted pulls. Works fine for me.

In the future I plan to get a weighted vest. Eventually I will make one of those homemade medicine balls.

My only real purchase was the Pullup/dip station and the abs pipe and glue for the paralettes. Rings were a gift (Best girlfriend in the world!), alice pack also a gift, weights were all bought at garage sales or found on the side of the road.

I'll go to the university gym and use the c2 rower every once in a awhile. I often use their football fields for sprints and 5km's.
The gym's free cause I was a student their. I would never pay for a gym- for me it's just not worth it. Access to a c2 I feel is more of a luxury then a necessity for me!

That's it.

T.