CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-16-2006, 03:01 AM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
At Tom Corrigan's KB workshop at Rainier CF over the weekend I got to toss around some K2 Fitness kettlebells and they are my new favorite bells. They are virtually identical to the DD bells save for two things: 1. The finish is a nice baked on enamel that looks terrific and 2. They are cheaper.

The diameter of the handle is about the same as the DD bells and the height of the horn is the same as well. The paint job makes the handle very smooth but I didn't find them slippery. They are not somebody else's KB painted, they have a nice K2 raised emblem on the side.

Go to www.k2fitness.net to check them out. When I buy more KB's I will get them from K2. I have 12 DD bells and 4 from PowerMax but I'm sure I will need more.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
Thanks for the report Eugene. I just ordered one.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Please do report back what you think Brian. I am really impressed with the quality of their bells and the price is great. Not as good as Powermax at Gill...but I like the K2's better.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
So far so good, I've already got an email confirmation that it shipped!

Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
Danny Nowell

Profile:
Thanks for the post Eugene. I'm planning on adding to my kettlebell collection in the near future, and this sounds like a good DD alternative to consider.

Now I'm just waiting to hear some feedback on the new line of KBC bells that are shipping out soon.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
I got my new Kettlebell yesterday! Now all I have to do is figure out how to use the darn thing.

I'm gonna play around with it today at lunch.

I'll try out some swings, cleans, snatches, some combos and probably some of those figure 8 things.

I'm a total rookie at this kettlebell stuff so this should be interesting.

Any suggestions or recommendations on what a raw kettlebell beginer shoud do are totaly welcome.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Brain,

first, you need to learn how to hold it and rack the bell correctly. This will be the starting point for front squats, push preses, jerks, etc.

Stick with swings and presses and maybe some high pulls to your chest level. The pulls will prepare you for the cleans.

Biggest mistake most beginners make is they try to clean and snatch too early and/or w/o proper instruction. They end up beating the heck out of their forearms. Kelly Moore even broke/cracked her ulna doing 53# snatches. CFers are strong enough to hurt themselves, so get some qualified instruction - and RKC or someone who has trained under one is your best bet. [If you doubt me, just email Eugene, Kelly Moore, Lynne Pitts, Skip Chase or Kuris and Laurie Bowler, and ask about my teaching abilities.]

Email me at kbfiremantom@yahoo.com (put KB instruction in the subject line) if you have some Qs, and I can post some pics, and/or give you some more details.

Tom Corrigan
RKC and CF Trainer
Old 05-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
Brian McCarrie

Profile:
Tom, I don't doubt you at all and actually, you read my mind.

I'm gonna stick with the swings and the high pulls.

And thanks for your offer to help. Maybe I'll post some video. Would you be up for giving me some feedback?

On to my little trial run with my new KB. I have nothing to compare it to but I like it. The offset of the weight from the handle makes it tricky to hold on to. The handle size also seems fine to me.

I did some swings. These got me breathing pretty good.

I did some cleans. Well, I started out with some wrist slammers and i think I got to apoint were I was doing a clean.

Then I did some push presses.

More swings, the whole figure eight between the legs thing.

More cleans and push presses.

I also tried some of those windmills. For some reason, the name windmill to me makes me think of a fast movement. What I was doing was very slow and deliberate.

All in all it was pretty cool. I'm going to add the swings and high pulls to my standard work out.

Oh, one last thing. The paint chipped. I have no idea how. I was using it on grass.

Thanks again for the input Tom.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Danny, I've got three ordered from KBC, including one 88lb. Should be fun!
They also have a very good KB training DVD available.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
Catherine Imes

Profile:
Brian,

You may seek out some instruction from an instructor in your area as Tom pointed out. One or two sessions is well worth the money to make sure you have basic mechanics down.

Here are the ones in Colorado. I don't know the proximity to Colorado Springs except for the ones that are obviously in Colorado Springs.

http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/in...nited%20States