CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Brian Negrotto

Profile:
Asic Ultimate 81

Anyone have any opinion on these shoes as far as for WODs, lifting, and POSE running. thanks...
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Matthew Williams

Profile:
Re: Asic Ultimate 81

Hi Brian, I have very similar trainers to the ones you mention, these are mine http://s.onlineshoes.com/images/br001/23886_450_45.jpg

They're very light weight so I find them great for metcons and anything that involves sprints. Anything over 400m running wise I personally wouldn't use them, but then I don't really have perfect running form.

Lifting wise I'd rather have proper oly shoes (which I don't currently own) but then I need to work on my form in regards to squats. I like them for deads though.

Overall great lightweight trainer and very comfortable, plus I think they look pretty cool
Old 07-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Ben Schill

Profile:

Bottom Line Up Front: I can't say enough good things about Ultimate 81s. I love them.

If you search for a thread called "CrossFit Shoes", you'll see some informed opinions. I can't do the VFF thing, but I typed this about the 81s a few months ago:

"Check out Onistuka Tiger Ultimate 81s... I have two pairs, and I'll do everything up to running one mile in them. When we get above one mile (what, twice last year off the main site?), I have to put on "Running Shoes" for the forefoot cushioning - I'm 6'3"/200. No offense to the dudes who weigh 160-ish, but you guys can get away with more on the footwear - and I AM a POSE believer, but you can POSE with cushioning in the forefoot."

I have been refining my POSE running, and actually considered doing yesterday's 5K run in my 81s, but I decided against it and pulled out the trusty running shoes.

I have a REALLY perfect pair of 81s worn in now, and I love doing the Oly lifts in them - did Isabel today as Rx'd and they performed perfectly as usual. My second pair is not as nicely worn in, but still great. It'll be a sad day when they die, but I'll keep ordering them until a better all-around shoe pops up for me.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
Jeff Yan

Profile:

I thought the soles for the Ultimate 81 were somewhat thick and stiff. Compare it to the Mexico 66 line.

The Tai Chi (what Matthew has) has some of the thinnest, most flexible soles I've ever seen on any shoe.

Haven't worn any of these, so my opinion shouldn't really matter.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Sheldon Danley

Profile:

I used to wear Vibrams exclusively for anything under 800m but recently got the 81s for sprinting. Something about sprinting in Vibrams holds me back from going all out, I think it's the feeling that I'm going to jam one of my toes at any second. I've started wearing the 81s more and more because I think they have a pretty solid heel on them for doing oly-lifts until I can get true oly shoes. If I had to pick one shoe to do ALL crossfitting in, it would be the 81s hands down.