CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
Karmyn Larsen

Profile:
Safety ideas - Solo Female Affiliate

This is my first post, hope I am doing it right. What are some precautions folks would recommend as I am a female, brand new affiliate? Location is in quiet industrial complex. Early morning hours and evening hours, I am there alone. Would you "screen" folks prior to agreeing to meeting at gym? Install a camera? Ask for photo ID? I don't want to sound paranoid but do want to be wise/stay alive :-) Open to suggestions, Thank you in advance!

And my sincere apologies if this topic has already been covered - if so, please direct me to thread - ty kindly :-)
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Karmyn Larsen

Profile:
Re: Safety ideas - Solo Female Affiliate

Ok so duh me, obviously stating that I could be at gym solo on a public forum not a great move on my part. Right now, I only meet folks during current clients' schedules. Eventually though, there is that possibility that I am there solo. I am hopeful that other gals have run a successful box and can comment on safety measures they put into place. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Jason Peacock

Profile:

I'd have a security camera in the gym and covering the outside/entrance. The beauty of video is that it's objective, so if anything happens you have proof & evidence.

Of course, you also want to avoid anything happening to start with Make sure the entrance is well lit and you can park in the light. You don't want anywhere for someone to hide.

As for clients - ask for referrals? Definitely get a working phone number from them - even if they contact you by email, ask for a phone # and call them at some point to confirm the appt or similar. To me, having a working phone # helps back that they are at least who they say.

None of this is perfect, but it helps to reduce risk which is the best you can do.

Also, you can make a copy of their ID when you have them sign the release/waiver. Not sure on the legality of that but lots of rental places do it.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
I'd have a security camera in the gym and covering the outside/entrance. The beauty of video is that it's objective, so if anything happens you have proof & evidence.

Of course, you also want to avoid anything happening to start with Make sure the entrance is well lit and you can park in the light. You don't want anywhere for someone to hide.

As for clients - ask for referrals? Definitely get a working phone number from them - even if they contact you by email, ask for a phone # and call them at some point to confirm the appt or similar. To me, having a working phone # helps back that they are at least who they say.

None of this is perfect, but it helps to reduce risk which is the best you can do.

Also, you can make a copy of their ID when you have them sign the release/waiver. Not sure on the legality of that but lots of rental places do it.
As for legality of copying their driver's license....It's against the law, however, scanning it directly into your computer system is not. People do it all the time, and you probably wont get caught...just sayin
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

A few ideas to think about, all of which have benefits beyond security.

* Make friends with your local police department(s). Offer them a good discount on your training fees. Encourage them to come during early morning and/or evening hours.

* If your space is big enough, figure out a way to share it with another fitness-related activity. A martial arts school would be perfect for the evenings, but they don't usually have much early morning traffic. If your space isn't big enough to actively share the space, you could still give their guys a good deal on membership.

* Adopt a large dog. Train him well, and take him everywhere.

Katherine

Last edited by Katherine Derbyshire : 02-18-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
As for legality of copying their driver's license....It's against the law, however, scanning it directly into your computer system is not. People do it all the time, and you probably wont get caught...just sayin
I'm not aware of any Federal law against making a copy of a driver's license for identification purpose. I would suggest the OP check with a lawyer in her location as to what is legal and illegal when it comes to making a copy of a driver's license.

Katherine has some good suggestions. I would also suggest looking into self-defense training, especially from Tony Blauer (WFS) or one of his coaches.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post

Katherine
Exactly what I was about to write!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
Jason M Struck

Profile:

I heartily recommend the American Staffordshire Terrier:

http://stella-heystella.blogspot.com/

Safe and Heart Warming.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Casey Raiford

Profile:

You might also invest in a can of pepper spray, in addition to the excellent ideas already suggested.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I can agree with this in theory. But as someone allergic to dogs, and with Asthma, I can also say that I wouldn't want one roaming around the place where I do burpees.