CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-29-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
The last few weeks I have had huge problems sleeping. It will take me up too 3 hours just to fall asleep. So now my 9 hours is turning into more like 6. Now there have been two main changes in my diet in the last few weeks.
1. I totally cut diary from my diet.
2. I started taking a fiber supplement and a calcium and magnesium supplement, to help with some stomach issues.
I take the fiber in the morning and at night and the calcium just in the morning.
Any ideas? I can’t help but to think this is going to eventually start to hurt my training.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #2
Greg Battaglia

Profile:
I experience similar symptoms when I change up my diet. The dairy cut prrobably has something to do with it, however, I see that you have problems with digestion; what is the cause of this? (if you know). I would say dump the supplements and eat more natural foods (paleo). The supplements will only mask the problem you have with digestion without actually attacking the root of the problem. Try to see what's causing the digestion problems and then cut that out of your diet. It could be a number of different things and I think someone with more qualification would be of much more help (Dr.G?).
Old 06-29-2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
What are you doing in the last several hours before bedtime?

What other events have been happening (or happened) in your life the last month?

Feel free to not answer the second question, it's an important thing to ponder though, as it may be causing the entire issue...

(Message edited by guerilastrength on June 29, 2006)
Old 06-29-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
No these are all good questions...
1. I have always had issues with digestion. Not sure what really causes it, (IBS?) Thought diary would help it out but to no avail. Also tired to increase my fat intake but that actually made it worse. Most of my fat was coming from almonds and coconut oil. So looked up some information and came up with the increased fiber combined with calcium and magnesium combo. I would love to eat healthier but that will have to wait another month due to the fact that I am in the military and eat at the chow hall. Which also starts to answer Dr. G's question. I get out of the military next month and it is a big transition for me although I did not think I was stressing it too much.
Second question from Dr. G was what do I do before bed. I usually eat about two hours before bed / take fiber supplement and then do the normal things like watch t.v, stretch and do chores.
Thanks a lot for all the help.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Jeff,
You might want to talk to someone about the transition you're going through, that could be a much bigger part of the sleeplessness than you realize. As I don't see you as a patient or know you personally, I can't tell how that might be affecting you. Although I will say, good doctors know that if you talk to the patient long enough, they will tell you exactly what their problem is. I have a feeling you may have just done that.

Also, I'd suggest turning off the TV and computer at least a half hour, preferably more, before you hit the sack.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
What kind of doctor do you recommend that I speak with, Although in the military it is not always real easy to talk to people due to the fact that they could put me on a medical hold and refuse to let me out
Old 06-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I'd be surprised if it were mostly your diet. Sounds like the transition to civilian life is the obvious culprit. I think who you talk to depends on how significant it is. Can you start with a friend or someone in church or better yet, someone who has already made the transition successfully?

It's perfectly normal to be worried about transitions. Life has a lot of them: leaving home, marriage, children, feeling mortal (i.e., getting middle aged), losing work, losing parents and friends, etc. I've been through quite a few. You have to distinguish between those that are transitions -- i.e, they get you from one good place to another (or at least one good enough place to another) vs. those that are dead ends. Dead ends you must escape, at risk of depression or damage to your soul. In your case, if you can't envisage how much you could enjoy life outside the military, then you might be in a dead end.

The more you engage in life the more you'll feel these transitions. I would focus on the future, start to plan, look forward to things. If your thoughts get stuck on worries, etc., then look for more help.

On the other hand, it's possible that you do have some digestive problem. My colleague had undiagnosed gluten intolerance for years and that kept him up often. You could also get this checked out before you leave the free medical care military environment.

Hope this helps. Talking with your friends, family or other close contacts is the best place to start.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Elliot just provided great advice. Talk to people who have made the transition before.

Rescue Remedy is something I would also utilize in a time like this (Google it). I'd use the normal dose (three sprays) before bed.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 PM   #9
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Meditating before bed always puts me to sleep. :-)
Old 07-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #10
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
i did an unscientific experiment this week, the results of which might help you. i usually watch videos and use the laptop before bed, and it can take up to 1.5 hours to fall asleep after that. i tried reading only -- no screens at all -- for about 1 hour before bed. it knocked me out like a sleeping pill -- no thoughts racing, no waiting to sleep. I was out! (I was reading Claw of the Conciliator by Wolfe). Hope this helps.