CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 08-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Vic McQuaide

Profile:
Coaching while competing

Does anyone know the rules on coaching in competition using a phone with ear piece? The athlete can just use pacing, motivation by the coach with two mobile phones and the ear piece for the athlete? Let me know if any rules against this?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Vic McQuaide

Profile:
Re: Coaching while competing

so can a coach talk to you via a cell phone during a workout?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Probably depends on what the rules are for the particular competition in question. I don't think there is a general rule though.

Personally, if I were running a comp, I wouldn't allow it.

- Mark
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Mark,
Thank you for your input. Would appreciate any other ones also.
Cheers
Vic
Old 08-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Aaron Evans

Profile:

I wasnt going to post a reply, because (IMO) Mark pretty much answered you...
That being said, and since you want some additional input---here you go.
Short answer to your question---see what Mark wrote.
I guess what I dont understand is why you would want to do this. I mean, I understand "why"---but why a phone/earpiece system?? How does he not break the equipment during a workout (either by dropping it, it catching on something, or when he rips it off because its in his way)...Why not establish some visual cue's? Also, as his coach, shouldnt you be working on the mental part of his training before competitions? During competitions, you should be able to communicate EVERYTHING you want to communicate with your athlete from the sidelines.
I coached multiple athletes at multiple Regionals, as well as the Games, here's what I do. Before the athlete ever steps out on the floor, strategy has been discussed, cues have been discussed (if needed), and they know where I am going to be standing. Once they step onto the floor, I try to make eye contact (doesnt always happen) and when the clock starts we both have a job to do. And if the venue logistics dont really allow you to "coach" your athlete (as was the case in a few events at the Games this year)---your athlete should have a good understanding of your strategy, and the mental toughness to execute--ALONE.
Im not trying to be a "Debbie-Downer", but I think you need to realize that there really isnt a "better way" to do this...and if you find one, please let me know...
Thanks.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i don't have a dog in this fight as either coach or athlete, but i to say that commo with coach (or teammates, or anyone else) is a bad idea or whatever i don't understand. sure it may not be possible for all workouts, like swimming, and yes, there can always be technical difficulty with equipment so it is fool proof, but as the sport gets bigger and bigger and the competitions more serious and more serious then i would expect this to become part of the sport, or at least expect some to want to try it. lots of sports already do have commo with the players. helmets in the NFL, nascar, etc all let the player talk with coach and crew.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Aaron Evans

Profile:

Andrew: You may want to re-read what I wrote...I never said it was a bad idea. Im just giving him food for thought, as well as let him know how other coaches communicate with their athletes.
Try this during your next workout---grab the earbuds to your iPhone (or whatever you use)--and stick them in your ears...then workout---as hard as you can. Now, during your workout, imagine (while the earbuds are already bugging the crap out of you) your coaches voice being pumped into the speakers. Do you think your performance will be enhanced?? I think not.
Also, you said there were "lots of sports"---and named 2. Both of which use a helmet with a speaker system built into the helmet itself. Im thinking that competitive CF will continue to use communications along the lines of baseball, basketball, tennis, hockey, volleyball and soccer---no speakers, just hand signals.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i just don't understand how they are going to get in the way? you seem certain they will and that they will annoy you during a workout? i know alot of people that workout with earphones or whatever all the time and they don't bother them at all. i also don't see how a wireless earpiece would get in the way during a workout? certainly it wouldn't interfere with the workout anymore than other things people wear all the time, like necklaces, sunglasses, etc? if you choose not to use them fine. if you think a different way is better, fine. but if someone else thought this way was better then what is the problem? why would you make them against the rules in a comp if someone else wanted to use them?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #9
Aaron Evans

Profile:

A small ear piece like a hearing aid---probably would get in the way (in the sense of hitting anything, or catching on something or anything like that). But I know for a fact---at least with the athletes that I coach---if they put one of those things in their ear and I started tell them what to do DURING THE WORKOUT, one of two things would happen...one, it would be taken out of their ear, and crushed with whatever object they were working out with at the time, or two (when the workout was over), they would ram that earbud AND the phone down my throat.
Now, he can do what he wants--like I said earlier: FOOD FOR THOUGHT...and I dont know why Mark wouldnt want to allow them in a competition, but I wouldnt allow them because, IMO, those gadgets dont belong on the competition floor.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Evans View Post
...and I dont know why Mark wouldnt want to allow them in a competition, but I wouldnt allow them because, IMO, those gadgets dont belong on the competition floor.
I guess I just don't like the high-techiness of it. It doesn't seem very Crossfit-ish to me.

I'm not opposed to active coaching during a comp, but let the coach stay on the sidelines and yell at his athlete.

- Mark