CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Phillip Micah Gilmore

Profile:
pain in back left side of calf

Over the past week I have felt my legs stiffening up. Just bought a pvc pipe to begin foam rolling this weekend to help that. But before I have begun feeling pain in my back left calf. I also feel a bit of discomfort right above my knee on the left side as well (though not much). Any idea what this could be? I did 13.2, EMOM 10 Min 3 power cleans, and 3 rnds of 1 mile run the 3 days before I felt this way. I am guessing I was so tight that I tweaked it after these. Any suggestions on recovery?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
John Susa

Profile:
Re: pain in back left side of calf

Would also appreciate any help here on similar symptoms: 52 yr old male, 155lbs., CrossFitting full-time since 2006. For past couple of weeks, I felt some tightness directly behind right knee, upper calf area. CF warm-up seemed to dispell it each day, and I just carried on; just figured calf was tight. Last Friday a small lump in same area appeared, and I had more tightness than usual; during warm-ups that day (OHS portion of Burgenner warm-up) I felt a small pop and the lump miraculously disappeared --just like that! The knee felt weirdly OK, the tightness was gone, and I put it down to another CrossFit miracle. I did the WOD (thrusters + running couplet). [I scaled thruster weight (a lot) and subbed rowing for running: I knew not to push it too far.] Next day my knee was swollen and sore and I spent whole weekend limping around, wondering if I'll ever be able to OLY again. Still limping...Please help?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Sean Rockett

Profile:

John you potentially have a medial meniscal tear which can cause pain in back of knee. You then had what sounds like a bakers cyst which then ruptured which is common. Bakers cyst is like a hernia in the joint where small opening allows fluid to escape into back of leg. Go get seen to see if I am right and to get help for yourself.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Phil you could have anything from tear to tendonitis to muscle soreness to leg clot. Tough to tell with the vague description. Please see someone as calf pain can be serious
Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Thomas Newton

Profile:

I'm going to try to piggy back off this thread. I began doing CrossFit four weeks ago on top of my regular running (30 miles a week). I have about two years of weight training under my belt as well.

Four days ago I began to feel pain on the right side of my right calf. So much that I have been limping on it. I believe it is extremely tight because it begins to feel better throughout the day and is worst when I wake up.

Today I began to feel the same pain on the very top of my right calf.

The pain is characterized by a bruised feeling and occurs when my right foot is angled upwards or to the left (towards my body).

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Sean Rockett

Profile:

calf pain is one of those things in the medical field that can be a sign of a leg clot, tough to tell online please see someone. I can't just say you are fine it is tendonitis.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
John Susa

Profile:

Sean,
Thank you for your response. It's six days since the event. Pain has subsided a good deal, not entirely, but better. Enough so that yesterday I went back to gym to work out 'around' the injury, i.e. stimulate muscles, blood, endorphins, mind, etc.
I scheduled an appointment with an Orthopedist. I'm considering cancelling. Here's why: I have a long history with knee trauma to my other leg ('Unhappy Triad' way back in 1982; pre-arthroscopic technique, they opened me wide for meniscus, ACL and MCL repair and reconstruction; post operative in-hopsital staph infection; chronic and traumatic degenerative joint disease; sprains, and strains over the years, etc.) One reason I love CrossFit so much is that it made the mess that is my left knee feel so, so much better.
I agree with your prognosis above: my right knee feels, smells and tastes like a meniscus tear. The thing is, I have no interest in knee surgery at this point in time for anything less than a catastrophic case, which a damaged meniscus typically isn't. I have no locking or popping, and just about full R.O.M. Some soreness, but I did unweighted box squats yesterday and it felt great.
Having been to so many Orthopedists over the years I'm pretty sure the two choices will be surgery, or intensive P.T. Can I just skip right to the P.T.? The office visits, examinations, MRI's and X-rays are a huge investment in time and money to be told what is fairly obvious even to a layman like me (albeit an experienced one). A good P.T. will know what to do for me, I'm no stranger to the protocols, and if it's anything more than a meniscus it will present soon enough anyway. I'm not anti-Orthopedists or anything, it's just that I've been down the road too often. Thoughts?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Susa View Post
Sean,
Thank you for your response. It's six days since the event. Pain has subsided a good deal, not entirely, but better. Enough so that yesterday I went back to gym to work out 'around' the injury, i.e. stimulate muscles, blood, endorphins, mind, etc.
I scheduled an appointment with an Orthopedist. I'm considering cancelling. Here's why: I have a long history with knee trauma to my other leg ('Unhappy Triad' way back in 1982; pre-arthroscopic technique, they opened me wide for meniscus, ACL and MCL repair and reconstruction; post operative in-hopsital staph infection; chronic and traumatic degenerative joint disease; sprains, and strains over the years, etc.) One reason I love CrossFit so much is that it made the mess that is my left knee feel so, so much better.
I agree with your prognosis above: my right knee feels, smells and tastes like a meniscus tear. The thing is, I have no interest in knee surgery at this point in time for anything less than a catastrophic case, which a damaged meniscus typically isn't. I have no locking or popping, and just about full R.O.M. Some soreness, but I did unweighted box squats yesterday and it felt great.
Having been to so many Orthopedists over the years I'm pretty sure the two choices will be surgery, or intensive P.T. Can I just skip right to the P.T.? The office visits, examinations, MRI's and X-rays are a huge investment in time and money to be told what is fairly obvious even to a layman like me (albeit an experienced one). A good P.T. will know what to do for me, I'm no stranger to the protocols, and if it's anything more than a meniscus it will present soon enough anyway. I'm not anti-Orthopedists or anything, it's just that I've been down the road too often. Thoughts?
sounds like you've been through a lot no harm in trying PT first