CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Jacob Dearolph

Profile:
Weird Knee Pain from Landing from T2B

Today, I was practicing kipping T2B (prior to 13.4) and at the end I kind of swung a little higher than normal to swing off the bar and then landed the way I normally land. Nothing out of the ordinary; no weird twists or anything.

But when I struck the ground a pain in the inside/lower of my knee shot up. It was quick and sharp and then subsided.

No swelling and I was able to do 13.4 after without any pain or discomfort. The only pain I feel is doing a squat on the inside/lower part of my left knee.

I'm wondering if it could be a sprain and something that will heal with time. Or, if I need to see someone. I'm also running a 10k in a week and I'm hoping to do some running.

Any feedback will be helpful. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Jacob Dearolph

Profile:
Re: Weird Knee Pain from Landing from T2B

Next day: there is some minor discomfort/stiffness around the inside top to bottom of my knee. When I bend into a deep squat there is mild pain in the same area (or see the pic). The pain is better than yesterday evening.

I'm really stumped as it doesn't feel like other things I did to my knee playing soccer and it happened when landing from swinging off the bar. No initial popping; just a quick sharp pain that has subsided (see first post). No resulting swelling. I hoping this rules out tears (MCL or Meniscus).

It feels similar to a jammed finger but in my knee. Anything will help. I've got a 10k next weekend and was going to do some running this weekend.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knee Pain Pic.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	12096  
Old 03-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
William Garrett

Profile:

Sounds like a flared/strained MCL or meniscus.

I had something similar happen once, very sharp pain, it went away with everyday that passed. I found accidentally after I squated down to get something. I had went down hard in the backcountry riding earlier that day, but didnt feel any initial pain.

I would take it easy with the usual protocol of ICE. Ice, compression, elevation, along with rest and go from there. If it was a true MCL/Meniscus tear there would be a severe degrade in knee stability, and or range of motion issues along with bruising and accompanied swelling.
M/35/5'10@190lbs/L1 -- Squat 420, FS 325, DL 520, Press 215, Bench 315, 5k Row 19:30
Old 03-31-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Sean Rockett

Profile:

So you can have different degrees of MCL tears or sprains (when talking ligaments, it's sprain, when talking muscles it's strain) graded 1-3. 1 is discomfort and no instability , 2 is little loose to exam and 3 is very loose. The other issue is meniscus. True a large tear will give moderate amount of swelling. If continues see someone to get diagnosis and see if you can run the race or not. If still painful may be best not to run.