CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Sean Rhoads

Profile:
To Partner up, or not???

Hey Folks. I am in the planning process for my affiliate box. One of the big considerations is whether to partner up with someone or go it solo??? I am a full time employee and work about 36 hours per week (3 twelve hour days) so, automatically there would be three days a week that I can not be on site. Also, I have two small kids, who I have three days a week.

So, any suggestions? Also, where do you suggest I start looking for a partner. Should I post a 'wanted' ad on the forum or local newspaper?

All the Best,

Sean
Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: To Partner up, or not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rhoads View Post
Hey Folks. I am in the planning process for my affiliate box. One of the big considerations is whether to partner up with someone or go it solo??? I am a full time employee and work about 36 hours per week (3 twelve hour days) so, automatically there would be three days a week that I can not be on site. Also, I have two small kids, who I have three days a week.

So, any suggestions? Also, where do you suggest I start looking for a partner. Should I post a 'wanted' ad on the forum or local newspaper?

All the Best,

Sean
I think the more important questions you need to ask is why are you doing this? Why not start small in your garage, and grow from there? That will require much less time requirements on your part, and less money.

What's wrong with your current situation that you're looking to change? Most people SIGNIFICANTLY underestimate the time it takes to run a business; not just class times to coach.

How long have you been doing CrossFit? What's your current job? Ever coach anyone? Ever? In anything? At any level? Ever run a business of any kind?
Do you only want the partner for the time? If so, why don't you just hire another coach instead, and avoid the headaches of a partnership?

There are thousands of questions, but this is a good start for you. If you found me as a potential partner, those would be some of the many questions I would have.

Even if you do find this partner from some ad about looking for a partner....would you really want a partner that you know nothing about, or can trust?

My 2c.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Think long and hard before partnering with anyone.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Bruce Henderson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R Cohen View Post
Think long and hard before partnering with anyone.
I agree with the above statement. Avoid it if at all possible.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

If you have the money and location you don't need a partner you need an employee and/or a good baby sitter.

With 3 little ones to think about you need to think through your approach and goals.

Why do you want to open an affiliate?

What are your goals for that affiliate?

If you are going to keep your regular job (recommended) how many hours a week do you have for the affiliate after kids and job?

How are your finances?

Do you have the cash to get a small garage gym off the ground?

Do you know any good people who want a chance to coach?

While the trend these days in my part of the country is open big gyms there is still no reason you can't start small out of you garage being open 4 days a week as long as your prices match what you offer.

This lets you learn a lot and get an idea of what it takes with low financial commitment. Used CrossFit equipment usually gets $0.75 on the dollar sold on Craigslist so if it doesn't workout you can recover most of your money spent on equipment. Very low risk until leased space gets involved.

Don't violate the rules but do everything you can before actually paying the $3,000 for your Affiliate fee. To break even from home you need to bring in enough membership fees to cover insurance and Affiliate fees annually.

Try to remember you can build your business to match your vision and life. If that doesn't look like the average box that is fine. This is the great thing about running your own business.