CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:
Going Skiing in 2 Weeks

I'm in a panic because I'm going skiing in Colorado in two weeks and it kind of snuck up on me and my legs feel like crap and I won't be able to see a PT until afterwards. I CAN ski, and ski pretty hard, but it still feels like I'm at a significantly greater risk of injuring myself if anything goes wrong. I'm going regardless, but with my legs feeling at about 50%, it's just not nearly as fun. I went skiing in Utah already this winter so I know I can handle it, but it's nothing like skiing when my legs feel good.

My problem is likely from sitting all day long, but I don't have the time to try to figure out on my own exactly what needs to be fixed through reading a bunch of literature, and even if I did have the time, I'm too frustrated, mentally compromised you may say, to be able to figure out how to fix this on my own.

I know if I actually knew exactly what the problem was and how to fix it I could make significant progress very quickly, but I'm completely clueless.

I know it's a long shot, but is there any chance anyone can offer some intensive consultation, with compensation, over the next two weeks to try to make some progress?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Going Skiing in 2 Weeks

Go get a professional massage as soon as you can schedule one. If you're staying at a resort with a spa, also schedule one while there.

Find a basic yoga class in your area, and go every other day (if possible) or every three days until you leave.

Ask the massage therapist and the yoga instructor for suggested stretches. Spend at least 10-15 minutes a day following their advice.

Whatever your workout routine is, cut back the workload to 50% or so.

At work, get up and walk around for five minutes at least once an hour. If you can work at a standing desk for any part of the day, do so.

Katherine
Old 02-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

What is your issue again?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Alden Hingle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Go get a professional massage as soon as you can schedule one. If you're staying at a resort with a spa, also schedule one while there.

Find a basic yoga class in your area, and go every other day (if possible) or every three days until you leave.

Ask the massage therapist and the yoga instructor for suggested stretches. Spend at least 10-15 minutes a day following their advice.

Whatever your workout routine is, cut back the workload to 50% or so.

At work, get up and walk around for five minutes at least once an hour. If you can work at a standing desk for any part of the day, do so.

Katherine
+1 on Katherine's comments. Every resort out here has multiple massage venues and they are frequently available within the large condo complexes.

And don't do squats or deadlifts the day before your first day of skiing. Ask me how I know. Lol

Couple other suggestions for your trip (stuff you probably already know)....

Start early to take advantage of better snow conditions and smaller crowds. Much easier on the legs when you aren't plowing through the chop or dodging the crowd.

Don't be afraid to quit before the lifts close if your legs are flat. 20K of vertical every day is better than 30K+ one day and then feeling too sore to ski or enjoy the next.

Five or ten minutes of dynamic stretching and warm up before you make the first run and one or two easier runs before you start pushing will go a long way to preserving your legs' endurance. I made this mistake last weekend and paid for it the rest of the day.

Enjoy your trip!

Alden
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Bradley James Thompson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Hingle View Post
Don't be afraid to quit before the lifts close if your legs are flat. 20K of vertical every day is better than 30K+ one day and then feeling too sore to ski or enjoy the next.
On this: I ski all day until the last lift stops running, unless I break something. I hate lunch because people always sit on their butts for 15 minutes after finishing, instead of jumping back out there.

Getting tired isn't really a problem. My legs aren't completely weak, they're just out of whack in some way.