CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
10 Months to Show up the Young Guns

I am now home from Afghanistan and I am ready to take my diet/training to the next level. It was pretty hard to eat right and workout over there but I think I built a decent base. My goal is to get in the best shape possible by the time I head off to school when I get out of the Army next spring. I am going to school in Boulder, CO which is considered a pretty fit town. On top of that I will be heading back to school at 29. I need to be in tip top shape to avoid looking like a fat slob. I had plenty of time to plan when I was overseas and I am well prepared.

1. Workout-I found a great local affiliate I am scheduled to start my "foundations" classes tomorrow. I am also supplementing with some light barefoot running and rowing (I already own a Concept 2). I lost about 15 pounds over there so I want to gain some strength and muscle mass. I have to stay relatively quick for my remaining APFTs so I can't neglect the METCON.

2. Diet-I am following the Zone Diet as prescribed in the May 04 Crossfit. I am going with the hardgained diet which contains 21 Blocks. I will be weighing in on weekends and adjusting as necessary. If I get to 6% BF I will up the diet and if I get to 13% BF I will knock it down a peg. As I am trying to put some mass back on I am fine with a little fat. I will just have to trim up next spring before I head to CO.

3.Supplementation- Not much here. I have used everything under the sun and I think most of these are crap. I am better off spending my money on lots of clean food. I am taking copius amounts of fish oil as well as a mulitvitamin. I was reading a CF journal article that endorsed Creatine and a couple of other supplements. I may give them a shot in the future.

Height: 69.5 inches
Weight: 155 pounds
BF %: 11%

The batteries on my camera are dead right now but I will get some before pics up as soon as possible. I will be posting my workouts daily, my weight/BF % weekly, and my progress pics monthly.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: 10 Months to Show up the Young Guns

Hopefully I'm not jumping in your business too much by intruding on your log...but gaining strength/mass while on a non-tweaked Zone diet is almost mutually exclusive. Granted, you say you're eating 21 blocks which is more than normal for someone at your height/weight/activity level, but that's still only in the neighborhood of 2100 calories a day. Be prepared to up your calorie intake, especially good protein and fat, if you want to keep putting weight on.

Don't worry too much about what the scale or bodyfat measurements tell you. Just look for consistent improvements in performance and the rest will take care of itself.

Good luck with getting started--jumping into Foundations is a good way to begin if you're fairly new to CF.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Michael J Beggs

Profile:

Eric,

Thanks for the advice. I am planning on upping the fat blocks in the near future. I just want to give myself a week to get use to the diet regimen. I am also going to have a post-WO drink that I saw on Robb Wolf's site (whey protein, coconut milk, and cocoa powder) that I am not including in my blocks.

To be honest, I don't know if I even really need the foundations classes. I had a buddy in unit that was a Crossfit coach and I spent the last 6 weeks working out with him in a small group or one-on-one. I have always been lifting (including Olympic lifts) for several years so none of those movements are unfamiliar. I figure that a few hours of personal attention getting my form critiqued can't hurt.

PS
I love the avatar. It took me a while to place it.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Michael J Beggs

Profile:

Today went pretty well. I had my first class and I like the gym and the people. I think it will be a good fit. I went through the fundamentals class and got a few critiques on my form. I was supposed to head back tomorrow but I have to go out of town for the day for work. My diet was pretty good too. I am eating a lot of food which will take some getting used to. I have always had trouble eating big meals and tend to be more of a grazer.

Despite my schedule I will do my best to get a workout in tomorrow and I will pack my lunch to avoid the dreaded drive thru while I travel. I hope to be back on schedule. I think this week will be bad but I should have the next two weeks off.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Tim Barker

Profile:

Even if you can't make it to the box, use your rower!

Best of luck. You sound like you have a good foundation planned out.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Michael J Beggs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Barker View Post
Even if you can't make it to the box, use your rower!

Best of luck. You sound like you have a good foundation planned out.
That's the plan Tim. I am not a morning person but I am going to force myself to get up an hour early to get something in before I hit the road. I will probably take the rowing workout off the Crossfit Endurance site.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Michael J Beggs

Profile:

Yesterday I finished up my foundations classes. It went pretty well. I needed a few form tweeks but oeverall I think I did well. I am going to start regular WODs today. I am also switching to a more Paleo centric diet. It will take a lot of meat and veggies or I now I will crash with these workouts. I have a couple of weeks off so I can concentrate on working out hard and recuperating. I can't wait to get my body back in check.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Michael J Beggs

Profile:

Today's WOD was running based. I am trying to get back into the unshod running and as a consequnce I lost some speed. Overall, it was still a good workout but my feet are a little raw.

45 sec running
45 sec rest
1:30 running
1:30 rest
3:00 running
3:00 rest
6:00 running
6:00 rest
3:00 running
3:00 rest
1:30 running
1:30 rest
45 sec running
45 sec rest

Tomorrow I am heading to the gym to do Murph. I have never done it before but it looks like a killer. It was cool today and I am really hoping that the weather carries over to tomorrow. That type of workout with temps closing in on triple digits would be pretty miserable.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
Michael J Beggs

Profile:

I am still tweaking the diet a bit. The biggest thing for me is simply getting enough food to support recovery. One of the local chains is having a big meat sale this week so I am going to load up on steak (some other stuff too but mostly steak) and frozen veggies. They don't have coconut milk though so I will have to go to another store and yet another place to buy nuts in bulk. It's kind of a pain but I know it will pay off in the long run.

I am a little sore from yesterday's workout (barefoot running kills the calf muscles) but I am still going to give Murph a go this afternoon. To be honest I will be happy to finish in under an hour.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Michael J Beggs

Profile:
Cfe Wod 0712

Rower
30/20

I feel pretty smoked. I need to make sure that I am pounding fluids. I feel very dehydrated. I spent a good amount of time and money at the grocery store yesterday so I have no excuses not to eat well today. I have been sabotaging my hard work in the gym in the past due to poor nutrition. I realize now that the real gains will be a result of the kitchen not just the gym.