CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
christopher brooks

Profile:
Question My Achillies Heal is my Achillies Heal

Hey everyone,

My Achilles tendon has been sore for a couple of months now and I'm getting concerned that it isn't really improving. For the first month I trained through it and just tried to stretch before and after workouts. It kept getting worse. I've taken the last 2 1/2 weeks off and I've been icing and stretching regularly but it still is really tight and slightly painful to the touch after I sit at my desk all day at work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 11-25-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Jim Colby

Profile:
Re: My Achillies Heal is my Achillies Heal

Go to a good physiotherapist and have it looked at. Also have your running form checked. Do it soon.

You need to nip this in the bud, as it can be a serious problem. This is coming from someone who had the same issue, trained through it, and snapped his achilles and had to have it surgically repaired. It started hurting in my early 30s and I snapped it playing basketball at age 41.

What kind of training were you doing by the way? Building up training volume too quickly, doing a lot of interval/sprint training and jumping will all aggravate this problem. Cross-training by swimmng, biking and rowing instead of running will also allow you to let your achilles heal (bad pun, I know) while maintaining your fitness levels.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
christopher brooks

Profile:

Thanks Jim. This started hurting a few months after I started CrossFitting. I basically went from swimming a few times a week and being pretty out of shape to running more, doing oly lifts, and dropping 15 lbs.

Andy

P.S. I grew up in Bernardsville. Small world.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Jim Colby

Profile:

It is a small world. BVille is a nice place!

Many of the activities in CrossFit, such as jumping, sprinting, jumping rope (particularly DUs) can really aggravite an achilles tendonitis problem if you're not careful. If you're a bit out of shape, and perhaps carrying a few extra pounds, that will definitely compound the problem.

You'll be ok as long as you get things sorted out early, cross-train properly and are sensible in your training activities. Your physiotherapist will probably want to make sure you have the proper type of runniing shoes as well.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Buy yourself some weightlifting shoes.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
Owen Bird

Profile:

*cough*heel*cough*
Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Tony Black

Profile:

As well as Jim, i ruptured one of my achilles, had the other go painful as well, its something that should be addressed now instead of later!

* Try and avoid/go easy on explosive movements for the moment - jumping is a obviously a big no no. Obviously warmup the area throughly before any exercises.

* massage the area and surrounding tissue regularly (gets more blood flow).

* ice as well - same reason.

* glucosamine + vit C (glucosamine doenst work without it) + chondroitin.

* fish oil! Fights inflammation!

I found pointing with the toes/standing on the ball of the foot helped, this seems to give the tendon "a rest".

Once your tendon is not obviously sore, work on strengthening and stretching it. 50% 1RM deadlifts and squats helped done at a easy pace, without going to failure with good form.... And checkout Kelly stars heel stretches (but i dont stretch this part until your well healed). Ive also found going barefoot/unshod as much as possible helped the whole lower leg.....

Remember the last thing to do is ignore this warning sign and "train through".

Good luck m8!

Last edited by Tony Black; 11-26-2009 at 08:11 AM..
Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Read this series I wrote wfs
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/1...-dysfunctions/

Well, especially sections 2 and 4 if you don't want to read a lot. 4 has the soft tissue work and strengthening that you likely need to do besides rest in addition to the post above me.

Tendonitis wfs:
http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/
Old 11-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I had this for a couple months at the beginning of this year. It sucked because walking aggravated it more than anything else, even running or jumping. Icing twice a day only helped a little bit. The secret I discovered was to massage the muscles around the tendon -- even further away than you might expect. Once I started massaging my calf muscles and soleus I couldn't believe how quickly my Achilles Heel pain improved (and how tight those muscles were). The foam roll is your friend.