CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
Victor Putz

Profile:
Cheap iron-plate kit or start building a bumper set?

I'm finally about read to just shell out for new, since here in the UK I've been watching ebay for about 6 months with almost no used oly kits drifting past...

Anyway, I see several "sets" available (such as this one from Bodypower). But I also would like some bumpers. Now, for the next several years I won't have a squat rack or really sturdy platform, so probably won't be lifting super-heavy (DLs may get heavyish, but front squats and standing press won't be too huge).

For the a little less than the 145kg iron set, I could get a bar, a couple of 10kg bumpers, and then some iron tinies (4x5kg, 4x2.5kg, 4x1.25kg, which should let me progress slowly), losing the iron 2x15kgs and 2x20kgs, which I could add later as bumpers (or when I get back to the states, although that may mean mixing kg and lb plates; aaah, math in public!). That would give me less weight, obviously (about half, "only" 75kg or so, about 165 lbs) but I'm not sure how limiting that would be given that I'm just starting and probably can't go too heavy while I'm in this house (except for dl)--and I can always add more later.

Do the extra safety/utility of the bumpers make them worth the longer-term investment, or will I find 165 lbs too limiting in the first six months or so (as I imagine I won't be able to justify another expenditure until then)?
Old 03-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Christian Salas

Profile:
Re: Cheap iron-plate kit or start building a bumper set?

First off, there's plenty of places to get kg plates in the States. I bought my 90k set from Pendlay.

Tough question though. Since you're coming back to the US, I would think it would be better to sell your iron plates before you move. Iron plates are an easy commodity to buy and sell. Not so with bumpers. Once you buy them, you'll want to keep them. So then the problem becomes shipping the bumpers to the states. Heavy and therefore expensive.

But I think the answer really depends on your time frame.

What about just sucking it up for awhile and joining a gym? I know it limits your CF workouts, but depending on how long it is, it may be a viable solution. What's your time frame here? If it's "several years" then I would just sally forth and buy what you can as you can afford it.

Last edited by Christian Salas; 03-24-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Old 03-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Tim Luby

Profile:

I just set up my garage early this month with iron plates and they've been just fine. The only time I wish I had bumpers is during heavy push presses, jerks or OH presses.

Don't get me wrong--if I was willing to shell out the $, I would go with bumpers. I consider them a luxury.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
Matt Thomas

Profile:

If it were me I'd go for more iron.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
Aaron Trent

Profile:

You will find yourself highly limited by 165, particularly in the Deadlift. You will likely find yourself pulling that much weight within weeks, for reps. That's not much for the Squat either. Go for the Iron.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
Victor Putz

Profile:

Quote:
Since you're coming back to the US, I would think it would be better to sell your iron plates before you move.
Well, it's a military move, and I'm so far below my allowance it's not even a problem (not much furniture, etc). Sounds like most people are saying iron, though... sounds like that's probably where I'm headed, but we'll see.

Are bumpers pretty much only useful when you're likely to ditch fairly often, ie oly lifts?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #7
Christian Salas

Profile:

Yea, since you've got the military weight allowance, I say start going crazy!

I would personally buy the 145kg iron set to start, then an economy Pendlay bar and a pair of 15k bumpers as you can afford them. Then more bumpers after that.

Bumpers are good for Olympic Lifting because you can stop lowering the weight after you lift it, period. After every lift, even warm ups, simply drop the weight. It adds up to a significant energy savings during your work out, so you can lift heavier weight more times. Good deal.

Also you're less likely to injure yourself because you don't have to lower a heavy weight under control. And of course you should get to the point where it's impossible to lower your weight under control. Bumpers are also great for Dead Lifting, since you can simply drop the weights at the top. At least I like doing that. The neighbors don't though haha

Also of course feel free to use them for regular lifting. I used all of mine for bench pressing recently. Weight is weight.

And don't forget to build a sweet platform so you can slam that weight down!

http://performancemenu.com/daily/ima...rtPlatform.jpg

Last edited by Christian Salas; 03-25-2008 at 09:07 AM..
Old 03-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
Howard Wilcox

Profile:

Wow, that is a sweet platform...did you build that?

howard
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
Christian Salas

Profile:

Nah, saw it on another site:

http://performancemenu.com/

"Competition platform at Newport Harbor High School"