CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-12-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
Paul Nguyen

Profile:
Some tips for a better/more proper deadlift

would highly be appreciated.

How can I get these deadlifts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xSuHjMCE8E wfs

Looking as sexy as these deadlifts:
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...dliftIntro.wmv

Been looking around the web for what constitutes a proper deadlift

A few questions:
Should I feel a slight stretch on my glutes/hamstrings when I do these?
How do you keep the bar from banging on your knees on the way up?
How wide should the grip be?

PS. I paused at the beginning of the video because I thought I heard screaming. But I didn't know what to think. Are you suppose to report that sort of thing?

Last edited by Paul Nguyen; 03-12-2008 at 03:43 PM..
Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Some tips for a better/more proper deadlift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Nguyen View Post
Should I feel a slight stretch on my glutes/hamstrings when I do these?
How do you keep the bar from banging on your knees on the way up?
How wide should the grip be?
1. Yes, your hip flexibility will probably be taxed.
2. I wear big socks -- but see below for more.
3. One thumb's length outside your shins works well -- just wide enough to keep your hands free of your legs.

Work on these:

Bar starts over your midfoot, touching shins, and directly below your scapulas. You mostly have the first two but are iffy on the last; doing so will mean your arms don't hang straight down but angle slightly backwards.

The lift starts with an extension of the knees with the back angle staying the SAME. Once the bar passes the knees, the hips extend as well. So in a way, it's kind of a two-part lift, though seamless and with overlap. The negative is the exact reverse of this process -- send your hips back, bend at the hips until you've passed the knees and assumed the hip angle you started with, then bend the knees to the floor.

The bar stays touching your legs the ENTIRE time.

Around here we like the book Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore, for strength training. All of this and more is within...
Old 03-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:

Bad news Paul; your deadlifts will NEVER look as sexy as Eva and Annie's!

Seriously, they looked good. You'll start to feel it more in your glutes and hamstrings when the weights get higher. Avoiding truly banging your knees comes with practice. That said you should always have the bar brushing your legs. Grip can be as close as your hips and knees will allow. The closer the grip the higher you'll start the lift and the more weight you'll ultimately be able to use.

Screaming? Go with your gut. You don't look like you live in high crime area so it's doubtful you'll be taking the police away from high-priority crime-fighting. Even so, give them a call and let them be the judges of that. I think they'd generally agree that it's better to respond to a non-event than to miss an emergency.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
John Stirling

Profile:

I can't comment much on the deadlifts because I know that my form isn't perfect and I'm still working on it too. I will comment on the police calling question. I can tell you that I would rather get called out and nothing be wrong than to not get a call and find a dead person later. There are exceptions to that rule and a few are listed below (bear in mind that we will go to these calls and happily, but I would rather not if I had a choice):

1) If your 12 year old is out of control because they will not go to bed

2) If you have a racoon (opossum, any other animal) sitting on your porch and you think it must be dangerous

3) If a soda machine does not give you back the correct change

4) If you have any complaints about aliens (ghosts, ghouls, goblins, pixies, fairies, or other mythical monsters or other creatures) and you are afraid that you will get your brain scanned (anal probed, cancer from gamma rays, speared by a unicorn, mentally altered by the ogre in your closet), I can tell you that it is probably not the police that you should be contacting. If you do contact us, however, we will be happy to place you in touch with the correct authorities on this matter.

I could go on with examples forever but the bottom line, you think you heard screaming, go ahead and give a call. If they don't find anything, so be it.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Use more weight A big deadlift is always sexier.

But really those looked really good. I guess you could push your hips through a little more on the finish on some of those. Good job though.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Sean McDaniel

Profile:

Knees a little more forward, and hips a little higher. Seen from the side, your arms should not be perfectly straight up-and-down, but should be slanted back slightly if your scapulas are directly over the bar. Engage your lats to keep the bar from moving away from your leg on the way up. Your knees will move back as you lift - the bar should stay in contact, but you don't need to bang into your knees or peel skin off your shins.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McDaniel View Post
Knees a little more forward, and hips a little higher.
Knees farther back, you mean. To elevate his hips and also move his knees forward, he'd have to disconnect his pelvis.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Sean McDaniel

Profile:

No, not if he moves his torso forward so that his scapulas are over the bar instead of the top of his shoulders. If he makes that correction without changing his knee angle, the knees will move forward as well.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #9
Brandon Oto

Profile:

There is absolutely no way to raise your hips and move your shoulders forward without opening the knees. (He could lean his entire body forward onto his toes, I suppose, which would move his knees forward in a strictly positional sense, but that would be bad.) Try it.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

I would say your butt could be up a little higher when you start the pull, that would help put your scapula's over the bar and straighten the knees out so they are not in the way as much. but overall looked great

PS: your reaction to the screaming is priceless hahahaha :-P

-Robert